1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking language barriers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, May 7, 2016.

1. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Wiktionary says it should be punctuated who'd'a' thunk it, as an alternative to who'd have thunk it

who'd have thunk it - Wiktionary

Bronco77 and BDC99 like this.
  2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Jesus, who'da thunk that?

Nobody's gonna write it that way.

Bronco77 and BDC99 like this.
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Common practice to clean it up and grumble loudly about it.

4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I'll remember that if it comes up again.
    Of course, I had to think of how to spell it on my own. His usage came before I'd even heard of Wikipedia, let alone Wiktionary. In fact, it probably came before either was invented.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

If you can't apologize genuinely, don't apologize at all. That was pretty weak by the Chronicle.

I've discussed this among other sports reporters and haven't found a single one who supports Smith on this.

That said, I found it interesting that the AP guidelines were so far removed from what actual working journalists do on a daily basis. Our job is not to be court stenographers, recording every "um" and grunt and pause and "like" and "you know." Our job is to convey the meaning of what a person is saying accurately and clearly.

If you can't do that without belittling your subject, then paraphrase or don't use it.

studthug12 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted