1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking into sports journalism--YouTube

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Canuck Pappy, Jul 13, 2007.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

True. And I enjoy <a href="http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/41102/">it</a>, but SportsJournalists.com isn't asking me to drop $20. Also, there's usually useful information somewhere among the insults here.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Agree with the statements that "How does it feel..." and "Talk about..." are for lazy journalists. Those may work on guys that are trained to reel off answers to the press, but when talking to people that rarely, if ever, talk to the press, the responses range from "Ummm..." to "Ummmm...good." There are better ways to phrase those questions that I've found get better results.

I can see where jlee is coming from. I'm not too far out of college and if I weren't already in this business, I would be watching this for some real tips on how to get a good start. The title "Breaking into Sports Journalism" does seem misleading. It probably should be titled "Hi, my name is _____, and I'm not a sports journalist."

The reason I clicked on the video was to see what the true daily grinders have to to say, the beat guys that work their butts off for little accord, but not a single one was up there.

Oh, and tell Steve Friedman thanks for dressing up.

3. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I'd also think they would have more content about actually breaking into sports journalism. They should have called it "Stuff that annoys us in sports journalism, you bottomfeeders!"

Draft saved Draft deleted