1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking into better jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Written Off, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Written Off

Written Off New Member

Between job freezes, layoffs, buyouts and the vast likelihood of more corporate incompetence/BS what's the best way to get into the type of job you want?
    I had always been a believer in working my way up. Now that so many papers refuse to make anything but in-house hires, are we at a point where people are better off taking mediocre and sub-mediocre jobs (taking prep phone calls, writing briefs and other non-challenging duties) at destination papers? Is it still well-advised to spend time at smaller papers in hopes of working your way up?
    What are people who hope to make the next step doing differently?
    Editors, what should we do differently?
    Also, with virtually no job security, how are married folks feeling about relocating for their job -- especially if the spouse makes more money?

A lot of questions, but any answers are helpful right now. Thanks

2. I think most people are just trying to hold onto the jobs they have until the housing market makes an upswing and gas prices go down.

3. Written Off

Written Off New Member

... or retirement comes. Whichever happens first, I suppose.

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I just moved up. Been here about a month. It's possible, though difficult.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well, congratulations. Wish you all the success in the world.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I am facing that very issue. Stay at a 40k, family-owned, where my pay has been stagnant for three years now, but I have reasonable job security; or take a higher-paying job with a "better" title (i.e., further up the food chain) in a bigger market … but I may lose the job security working at a chain.

Tough decision, tough decision, tough-ass, fucking decision.

7. chigurdaddy

chigurdaddy Guest

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones, BG. You have options, which these days puts you in rare company.
    It used to be the book said roll the dice, move up, but seems like the whole paradigm's been turned on its head in just the last 4 years - if even that. The whole idea that the weekly leads to the small daily yadayadayada gets you to the Miami Herald doesn't fit the current environment. If you're happy where you are, I say don't worry, be happy. Freelance to make extra dough!

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If you aren't happy where you are -- happy enough to stay put there (or be stuck there) for a long, long, long-ass time -- then you should do whatever you can to get out. Either to another paper or another industry, though your job security might be better in another industry.

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Joe, I'm happy as hell with the day-to-day on the job. The beat is great. But on the other hand, there is the issue of not getting a raise for three years — not even a measly cost of living adjustment (the downside of working at a family-owned that doesn't adhere to the industry standards, good or bad) and staff organization is non-existent to the point where there is some serious frustration on the staff.

If I could rein in the staff and get a bump in pay, no way I even consider this other job.

10. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

I've been there. After years toiling at smaller papers, I finally made the decision to move up the food chain. Less than two months into my new job, they announced they were seeking voluntary buyouts and would follow up with layoffs if their quota wasn't met. Good times. I've managed to hold on so far, but it's only a matter of time until the budget ax falls again.

Draft saved Draft deleted