1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking in part time

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sunshine Scooter, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you fucking guys who are noobs to the business are a laugh a minute. don't for a minute imply that you didn't suggest your school-boy connections will play a major role in either your life or your chums' lives. you did. yes, it reeks of stupidity, but you wrote it. own up to it.

also, if the time you spent working at your student paper still plays a relevant role in your professional career, well, come back in a few years and tell us why we all have reason to laugh at you.

and hostile? give me a break.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If I'm not ME of my college paper, if all my time is spent at the local small daily, I never meet the editor of the city paper, who gives me an internship after my junior year, which leads to me landing a job there after graduation. And 28 years later, I'm still there.

I'm not sayin' ... I'm just sayin'.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shot - the abstract is not the norm.

4. No, again, in the first post I said I had made good contacts (nothing about a future job implied) and in the second post I said that I will most likely be able to help them. I did not say it would play a major role in my life and did not, in any way, imply that. Don't put words in my mouth.

Yeah, you are right, my bad. I learned nothing and got absolutely nothing out of my time on the school paper. So glad that I need some guy on a message board to tell me that. So glad I wasted 4 years of my life. Could it be that people are different and grow best in different ways?

In the scheme of things what I learned at school will probably not matter very much, I get that. Experience at a daily, professional paper is obviously important, but I damn sure can guarantee it helped get me in the door at a lot of places this summer and helped to get me this job. So did my time as a part-timer / intern (by the way, that was the whole point man).

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

then explain what you meant when you said: "I would agree as well and I was lucky enough to be part of a senior class that is actually going places, meaning I made good contacts that are now spread across the country."

how can you be "lucky" if you're not going to use these contacts in the future?

if you're going to now say those words meant nothing, you really had no reason to post on this topic in the first place.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Wilt Chamberlain made a lot of nice contacts across the country.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and he used 'em.

Draft saved Draft deleted