1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking in part time

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sunshine Scooter, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Mira

Mira Member

I worked part-time as a sports editorial assistant at a major metro and did as much free lance as I could get my hands on. I also wrote for some magazines in my spare time (good $$). I didn't get full-time at that pub, but moved out-of-state for a decent full-time gig. The part-time experience benefited me, gave me good clips and references in landing the full-time job.

It has to be said that not all folks are in the same boat. Situations change as the industry does. But if you really want to write sports, part-time isn't bad if you have the savvy to supplement it with other work.

2. JLawson

JLawson Member

I think when you work part time you have go into it with the thought that you may be hired full time and you may not. Don't count on it, but don't think you won't. I work part time right now at a decent sized paper and if I got hired on full time that would be great, but I'm also keeping my options open. My situation works out great for me because I'm still in college, but for a lot of people part time just wouldn't do.

3. Thanks for the advice, so far. Some of it I hadn't really thought about.

My situation is a little different in that I'm no much trying to break into the business as move up in it.

From what I've heard talking to people, it seems like a gamble.

SS

4. I would imagine that would be more of a gamble.

I started as a part-timer in college at a 150,000 circ paper and quickly was allowed to do actual desk work (while still answering phones, etc.) and worked it into a full-time position when it came around, so it can definitely happen. But I wouldn't have stuck with it if I hadn't been in school.

It is a gamble, but as some on here have said, it can also pay off. I guess it really depends on if your goal is to work for that paper. If it is, then it probably is worth the shot, but otherwise I don't know.

Definitely keep us posted.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Working part-time at a larger paper is a lot better than working full-time at McDonald's if you want to move up in the business.

However, as some have said, you may have to go from 30 hours at the 200,000 paper to a full-time job at a smaller paper in another city.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Here's the point I've made before. And it's worth considering.

Say you're a 30-hour-a-week guy at Newspaper A, and the sports editor gets the go-ahead to hire another GA reporter.

Here are his two options concerning you.

1. Hire you, because you've done a good job. Pick up 10 man-hours a week, because he already has you for 30.

2. Hire from outside and pick up 40 man-hours a week.

I think you know which option will be chosen for the most part.

7. somewriter

somewriter Member

True, shot. But if the SE goes with the second option, he should realize he also could lose that 30-hour/week guy. So the replacement value of that guy should be included as well, though I agree that it probably is not as often as it should.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I made some mistakes earlier in my career and I'm paying for them now. My advice is to start at a small or mid-size paper and build up an impressive package of clips.

The problem with breaking in as a part-timer at a big paper is that--and others here have said the same thing--maybe your editors will see you as nothing but the part-time guy, no matter how good your clips are.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

But the value of 30 hours of work is going to always win over losing a part-timer, because they know they're going to fill the 30-hour role. Not nice, maybe not fair, but true.

10. I waited three years out of college hoping to get moved up to full-time at a major metro. I copyedited, designed and reported (including a lot of freelancing), learned as much as I could, even did six months temporary full-time helping out the news-side copy desk. Finally, I left for another paper. It was the right move -- I went to a paper that paid more than the union minimum I was sure to start if I did go part-time at the old paper, plus got a heap of slot and layout experience I wouldn't have right away if I didn't move. That said, I do know people who latch on part-time and get moved up. Sometimes it's a right-place-at-the-right-time thing. So if you choose this route, be patient, volunteer for as much as you can, and be prepared to walk if full-time doesn't happen.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i started working at a 30k paper part time when i was a sophomore in college and made about 18k a year doing as much.

i don't know why more college kids don't go this route, as in get their real-world experience before graduation. god knows i'd love to have more qualified part timers.

and, FWIW, i've hired exactly one PT guy FT.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I started out as a part timer at a 21k paper and was hired full time after a summer not working for them, but I was told it was pretty rare for them to hire part timers.
    One of the problems we've had at my papers is finding qualified part timers, let alone hiring one of them to work full time.

Draft saved Draft deleted