1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking horrible news

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Precious Roy, Jul 7, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

how horrific. props to you all the way, bro. rip to the girl. :'( :'( :'(

2. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Wow. Sorry to hear that. You definitely did the right thing trying to call the guy. That had to be one of the hardest phone calls you've ever made. Stay classy, P_R.

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I've been texting with the guy trying to keep him level. Right now my whole focus is to keep him away from the meth pipe. He's been clean five years now, and I want to know that he's not going to head back down that road.

4. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Damn. This sounds like a tough situation all around.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bless you, PR. Been through a little bit of that twice already this week, on the receiving end and the communicating end. It sucks.

6. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Thanks everyone, your kind words are really helping right now.
    It may be tough, but we've been through the drug stuff before. I was addicted too for four years and we were basically running buddies before and during. But I went clean seven years ago and it took him two to catch up.
    Now that I'm back around, I just want to make sure my friend stays well. He means too much to me to just let him slip away.
    Again, thank you all so much for the kind words, it has really made my day to see such thoughtfulness.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

PR, kudos for doing the right thing - and not at a time when doing the right thing was the least bit easy.

RIP to another dying too young. And keep the faith, good sir. Take care ...

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for the loss, for you and your family.

I'm sorry that the girl's father had to find out from the front page of a newspaper that his daughter was killed in the accident. I'm sorry for the family members who are going through enormous grief right now.

It's sad that it sometimes takes tragedy to rekindle contact between people who used to be close, when the only things that separated them were time and lives. It's sad that people can be so consumed by hatred that they wouldn't even provide the common courtesy of calling someone.

At least when my grandmother was taken to hospice, my mother called to let me know, even though my "relationship" with her has been fairly well documented.

RIP sweet girl. May you and the rest of her family find peace in this difficult hour and in the days ahead.

9. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I thought of this very scenario after Steve McNair was killed.

I was thinking what it would be like to be a Chris Mortensen or Peter King who has Jeff Fisher's contact information, and what it would be like to call right away for reaction and he hasn't heard it yet.

Ugh.

It's been bad enough when I've had to break it to people running for certain offices that they lost. I can't imagine what this is like.

10. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

This is exactly the situation I worry about with my brother and his ex. that woman ran him over the coals and threatened to hurt the child unless he left. (her longtime b/f was infertile, hit up my brother, had sex with him, got pregnant, left him for the old b/f) I just worry something will happen to that kid and he'll never know.

I applaud your character and morals. Good vibes and good thoughts for you, your friend and the rest of the family. A situation none of us would ever want to go through.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Hey Precious Roy. I don't know you. But you are a MAN. I offer nothing but the best wishes to you and your friend. Life is so hard. But you're doing it right.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

PR, God be with you and your friend......that sucks.

Not to make light of this, please forgive me, but......he married your sister three different times? That's like a soap opera storyline. That's JR and Sue Ellen on "Dallas." Sorry, I just couldn't help but think that.

And that was a song by Heart, wasn't it?

I'm really sorry......I know this is all real-life stuff.....it's just mind-bending real-life stuff, that's all.

Best wishes to everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted