1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BREAKING: Derek "Jetes" Jeter fractures ankle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'm not really neutral on the Yankees, but that dates back to being a Royals' fanboy in the late 1970s. However, I repect hustle and class, regardless of what uniform is being worn.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think he's a phony. I think the belief that he's "all about team first" -- which he does his best to feed -- is absurd. If he was a selfless as his legend suggests, he would have volunteered to move to third and let the better shortstop play his natural position for the last eight years. Ask Ken Huckabee, a guy Jeter treated like a SCAB for accidentally injuring him, how wonderful he's carried himself. A real leader would have forgiven ARod for whatever dumb shit he said to Scott Rabb and tried to get Yankee fans embrace him for the good of the team, even if he personally didn't like him. Jeter has done his best to make Rodriguez feel as alone and as needy as anyone in that clubhouse, all because he SAID some dumb thing years ago and apologized for it. Watch him too when he's in a miserable slump, but the team is trying to win a close game. Few guys love to take angry cuts at 3-0 pitches more than him.

I've also dealt with him a little and while he's not an asshole, he walks a fine line between rudeness and filling his media obligations.

The stuff with his personal life, I care not one bit, other than comedy purposes.

As I said, he's a fabulous baseball player. He might even be underrated, to be honest. But I enjoy my dislike of him. It's a part of me now.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A reasonable explanation. I will put him on my list of "People I'd Probably Not Like If I Were A Working Journalist But Rather Enjoy From A Fan's Distance."

He will never knock Jim Harbaugh off the top spot.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

As a Tiger fan I was pretty confident going into the series anyway. I don't hate Jeter. I hate the Yankee-centric ESPN spending half an hour on the injury last night without mentioning who actually won the game. I hate the Yankee-centric ESPN fawning over everything he does and hyperventilating over every slump and hot streak he has. He goes 0-4: "Is Jeter done?" The next day he goes 3-4: "Is Jeter back?"
    I actually respect Jeter, both because of his play and because it's nice to see a kid from Kalamazoo make it big. I think a lot of Tigers fans see him in that light (Granderson too, since he was a fan-favorite when he was in Detroit).
    I would compare Detroit's opinion of Jeter to its opinion of Joe Sakic. As a Wings fan, you hated the Avs, wanted to see Roy get hit by a bus, wanted Claude Lemieux brought up on assault charges, but you respected Sakic.

5. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Anyone that is celebrating this should be ashamed.

I know they've said he's out for the season, but if the Yankees come back and win the ALCS I wouldn't rule out him making pinch-hitting appearances in the World Series.

Kirk Gibson hit his famous Game 1 HR in 1988 on a fractured ankle, and of course we all remember Schilling and the Bloody Sock game. Jeter might well be able to gut it out for an at bat.

But right now it doesn't look like there will be a Yankee World Series. The loss of the captain will tough to overcome.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Anyone WHO is celebrating should be ashamed. Of that you are correct. But you are delusional if you think he plays next week. No way.

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

As has been mentioned 20 or 30 times before, HE CAN'T.
    Once the Yankees made the roster move this morning, Jeter became ineligible for the next round.

8. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I doubt it will happen but if there's a way for a competitor like Jeter to get in the batter's box he will do it.

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

What if Nix or ARod gets injured, could they then activate Jeter? Assuming he's even physically able to come up to bat.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Kirk Gibson never had a fractured ankle in 1988.

He had injuries to both legs, one was a pulled hamstring and the other a bad knee.

11. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

OK. What is the typical recovery time for a broken ankle?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A year.

Draft saved Draft deleted