1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BREAKING: Derek "Jetes" Jeter fractures ankle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Oct 14, 2012.

1. turski7

turski7 Member

Re: BREAKING: Derek "Jetes" Jeter hurt, leaves game

At least Jeter can still hit.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Re: BREAKING: Derek "Jetes" Jeter hurt, leaves game

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

https://twitter.com/DerekJeterAnkle

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I understand he's the captain. I understand he and Ibanez have been the only consistent Yankees hitters in the postseason.

But he's not irreplaceable. Nix came in and did a fine job in Game 4.

This feels like baseball Gods karma after Sabathia beaned Markakis and broke his thumb in September.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How did he break his ankle on that play? Pre-existing injury?

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I, too, thought it might be a stress fracture because of the pre-existing bone bruise. Girardi said it's in a different part of the ankle, though. I still think it's entirely possible. If one part of the ankle is weakened, the entire ankle is weakened. And he didn't seem to roll it on that play.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Guees he won't chase down Pete Rose afterall [/bluefont]

Seriously, has anyone herd from or seen Manky Jimmy?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He's drafting a letter to MLB calling for the 2012 season to be declared over, or at least suspended until Jeter is able to resume his career. After all, the game can't go on without Captain Intangibles.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Will Carroll, when he wrote for Baseball Prospectus, used to write about the concept of cascade injuries. Basically, because one part of your body is hurt (like a bone bruise on a foot, let's say), it puts stress on every other part of your body as you try to adapt. If you're used to putting half-weight on a foot, and instead you're now putting all your weight on it, you're at a higher risk for other injuries.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I hate the Yankees and am no Jeter fan (as an O's fan I do find your Sabathia-Markakis theory interesting :)), but to say Nix is a decent replacment is ridiculous.

Jayson Nix is a career 214/285/371 hitter. One reason they wanted him in Game 4 is because he had 3 career HRs off Joe Saunders. Saunders, a lefty, of course. Nix is 199/271/338 vs. righties in his career - and the Tigers start all righties, I believe.

Of course, he could channel his inner Brian Doyle and you never know. But don't base Game 4 on Jayson Nix being a serviceable replacement. Or serviceable.

Although I'm sure he's a better fielder than Jeter. (ducks)

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This guy would like to talk to you.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted