1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking: Circuit City -- the end

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by steveu, Jan 16, 2009.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Sale begins Saturday. They're wasting no time.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I never had much of a problem with Circuit City. I shopped there occasionally. Their prices usually came in just higher than Best Buy and Best Buy was closer.

I’m not happy that an electronics store is closing as that means less competition. First CompUSA then Circuit City, who is next?

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Started off a little slow, but they really started slashing after about three weeks. Of course, there wasn't as much selection, so it's a bit of a gamble. But some of the stuff, IIRC, was 75% off by the end.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I have that, too. But I'd rather do something to keep the place going.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Response 1: YES! I bet this means I don't have to pay off that Circuit City credit card!

Response 2: Excellent. I need a new laptop.

Response 3: Damn. I really like the Circuit City in my town. Helluva lot better than that poorly-placed Best Buy with it's big crowds and giant yellow tags.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I would go there to buy something, but I might need help finding it and CC doesn't do customer service.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

You did mean to use the blue font on number 1, right? I'm guessing that GE Credit or someone holds the note on that card. Those guys are mean.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yea, it was about the same when one of the ones near me closed. (There are still two others fairly close and four or five others within a half hour drive).

About two weeks before Christmas (which would have been about three weeks into the closeout), satellite radio was 60 percent off, video games, DVDs and music were 35 or 40 percent.

Can't remember percentages on the other stuff, although TVs didn't have huge markdowns until a week or two from closing.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The local CC has a copy of Dynasty League Baseball (computer version of Pursue The Pennant) gathering dust on a shelf. I figure I'll be okay waiting until tomorrow.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Depends on the manufacturer. Mine - which I'm STILL fighting with the manufacturer has zero to do with CC, thank goodness.

Memo to manufacturer: If you wish to replace it so badly, have a CRT HDTV ready. Otherwise, just fix mine. Thanks!

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I guess they're not just what I needed

Draft saved Draft deleted