1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking Bad Season 3 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I didn't get that at all. I took it as the boss (was that Sam Elliott?) getting pressure from the higher-ups about why his man hadn't reported for duty in El Paso yet. And then the boss seeing through Hank's bluster and bullshit without tearing him down and emasculating him.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Agree, Bubbler, that the sympathetic characters in this show are dwindling. Walt is the protagonist but he's also becoming more of an asshole every week. Jesse became sympathetic last season but is now, as you said, an unrepentant scumbag. Other characters have made similar slides.
    Hell, the most sympathetic character at this point might be the fixer, Mike. Even though his job is a bit unsavory he's really just caught up in this circus.
    I'd have to say that this is all a major plot point for this season, though. The drug world is not a happy, romantic, wonderful place. Everybody is out for themselves to some degree. If they show concern for someone else (like Saul and Gus are doing with Walt) it's to make money and further their own ambition.
    In another sense, we're also seeing this season the continued impact Walt's decision to make meth has on all of these people. Most of these awful characters were born from that decision.
    There were also two small scenes last night that emphasized Walt's broader impact beyond his small circle. The first was when Hank got dropped off in front of the empty Wayfarer terminal at the airport, and the second was when Walt heard the news on the radio that Jane's dad had shot himself. At this point, we're seeing that everything Walt touches -- either directly or indirectly -- gets destroyed. Everything except Ted Beneke's window, at least.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I thought the closing scene was awesome.

Everything has hit the fan for nearly every character.

Walt is dying, needs more money, people are trying to kill him and he doesn't know, the cops are getting closer, he's lawyer is a sleeze, his partner Jesse is a moron, his wife is a frigid bitch.

Jesse's girlfriend is dead, he still has no future outside of meth. Cops are getting closer, parents have disowned him.

Yet at the end, there's a bag of money for each of them. And as the show closes, there is a green light.

Everything is shitty for Walt and Jesse but it's going to work out. Walt is still making the money he needs for his wife and kids, and Jesse at least owns his house. Despite everything bad that is happening, these guys are still coming out ahead.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Skyler is a b%tch, but indications are that she's not frigid.
    I'm still watching the show because the GF is into it, so it's on every Sunday.
    But honestly, I cannot muster much, if any, interest anymore.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Tonight's episode was fantastic.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Where the hell is the bag of money?

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I assume Walt took it. He signed the divorce papers, took the money and moved out. He's cutting ties so he can cook meth for Gus. I loved that scene in Saul's office. Walt's a damned ruthless son of a bitch when he puts his mind to it.
    It was also interesting to see Walt see through Gus' plan, yet still remain in denial about being a criminal. Makes you wonder if he'll ever see himself for what he's become.

And it looks like all of this build-up is finally going to have some payoff next week. It's about time. The last two episodes have been good, but they were starting to drag a bit.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Wow, that was close. Must be some challenge for the writers to keep coming up with ways for Walt to get away from the DEA or the cartel.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fantastic episode with a great finale.

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

R.I.P. Hank?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I was wracking my brain last night trying to figure out where I had seen Walt's new meth-lab partner before and then, of course, after reading Sepinwall this morning, found out it was the guy who played the "more with less" newspaper editor on The Wire.

As far as sympathetic characters go, I find the show more interesting as all the characters become less sympathetic.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There are just layers upon layers upon layers in this show, points and counterpoints, symbolism out the yin-yang and tremendous acting. It really makes "Lost" look like a third-grade play.
    Where to begin?
    • The ending. When even a sleazeball like Saul Goodman feels dirty about what you've asked him to do, you know you've crossed a serious line. The way he broke the cellphone and quietly tossed it in the garbage spoke volumes more than any line of dialogue ever could -- which is the M.O. for this show.
    The scene where they're crushing up the RV as Walt and Jesse look on was top-notch. They looked like an old married couple watching their first home being bulldozed.
    And the combined look of relief, hurt, anger and fear on Hank's face after he hangs up with Marie (and realizes someone very, very bad knows how to get to him) was awesome. Does he now know Walt is somehow involved? Did he reach a breaking point?
    • Speaking of Hank, his fall is one of this season's high points. In the same way we saw Walt and Jesse climbing the criminal ladder in opposite directions last season, Walt and Hank are doing the same on the emotional ladder this season. Before Walt unwittingly dragged him down this path, Hank was on top of the world. Now he's struggling to hold on to any scrap of his former self. He's a broken man, but he can't admit it yet -- much like Walt can't admit he's a criminal.
    • The way people keep protecting Walt, only to lead to their demise is saddening. Hank protected Walt from Tuco and now he's got a death warrant. Gus is protecting him from the Cousins, which will likely lead to trouble from the cartel for going after Hank. Skyler is protecting him from the law, which is aiding and abetting all of this.
    • Also love the little touches. Like Walt getting ready for his first day of work in the super lab as if it's a normal job. The viciousness of the Cousins in the opening scene (and the tension built from a clattering flagpole; I swear I thought that woman's head was going to be hanging from it).
    I could go on and on. I feel like Doc Jensen on a Blue Sky high.

Draft saved Draft deleted