1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking Bad Season 3 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Mar 16, 2010.

1. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

I'm hoping they kill off Walt and Jesse and make it the Gus/Saul/Mike show.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That whole scene was completely badass. That's got to be one hell of a powerful gun Mike carries.

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Starting next Wednesday/Thursday at 12:30 a.m., the channel is going to rerun two episodes of the show back-to-back every week into March. There's not a specific timeslot, because they'll be airing after that Wednesday's latenight movie (next week is 12:30, the week after 1:30), but you'll be getting all three seasons of the show in a manageable period of time.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/dvr-alert-amc-to-rerun-breaking-bad-seasons-1-3-on-wednesdays-late-night

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sweet. Hopefully that'll tide us over until next summer.

5. XXXX

XXXX Member

Just read this whole thread after catching up with the entire series back in october. I have one point to make that wasn't brought up. Everyone on the board pretty much said that they hated the fly episode and said that the fly was jane. Well I have a different theory. In the episode jesse is telling walt about his aunt that had cancer. He said that the cancer started spreading to her brain and that she started hallucinating about a possum that had already been caught. The aunt started saying that, even though the possum was caught, it was still in the house. The whole time this story was going on the camera was fixated on walt. I believe that the cancer has spread to walts brain and that's why, even after the fly had been apprehended, walt was still seeing images of it. That's just my take.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Finally caught up thanks to AMC's re-airing of season 3. It appears they're going to start with season 1 again next week if you missed it and want to set the DVR.

The finale was a tense ball of television from minute 1 to minute 48. Can't wait for the next season to start. I agree totally that four seasons -- five max -- is the shelf life of the show. One of the things The Wire did well was not wasting episodes. I hope Breaking Bad does the same thing.

7. I probably complain about a lot of shows these days (Dexter, Big Love, etc.), so I should probably say that I think this is the best show currently airing on television. I thought season 2 was the best of the three, but last season was terrific, too (other than that damn "Fly" episode). I thought the best episodes of the series were part of season 3, including the final two episodes of the season.

I can't wait for season 4 to begin, and although I'll be sad when the run ends, I agree with the above posters that it's much better to begin plotting the end now and finish on a high note instead of letting it drag on so long that it gets ridiculous. Like Dexter and Big Love.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Agree on the limited run. This premise is not open-ended. It's more like a really, really long movie.

And the "Fly" episode seems to be a polarizing one. Seems like either you loved it or hated it. I loved it, personally. The mix of deep, introspective dialogue and slapstick comedy was unique.

9. This seems to be true, and there are different schools of thought on the purpose of that episode. Alan Sepinwall, who I almost always agree with, loved "Fly" as a bottle episode that allowed for a deeper look at the characters' day-to-day life. I seem to remember Sepinwall or someone else comparing that episode to the Sopranos classic "Pine Barrens," which was my favorite episode of that series. However, I was just bored by "Fly," and barring some of the theories that it might foretell Walter's worsening condition or the like, I just didn't understand its purpose.

My opinion, which I don't expect everyone to agree with, is that in a short-run show, like many of those that appear on cable -- 12 or 13 episodes per season, ordinarily -- I think every episode is valuable to the overall story arc, and "Fly" just didn't fit and seemed to break away from all that an otherwise terrific season was building.

That's just me, and honestly, I'm sure I'm reading way, way too much into that single episode. I still absolutely love the show and can't wait for it to return. It is, at least to me, an example of how great television can be these days.

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted