1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Breaking Bad - Season 1"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I was also late to the party and got caught up through season four on Netflix in a matter of weeks. Right now they are showing the first half of season five on AMC really early on Mondays so I'm getting the rest in now.

I'm pretty sure it's my favorite show ever at this point. One of the things, especially early on, that I thought was so well done was the tension and stress that the deceit caused the family.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. Good discussion.

And this post, I think, nails it, now that I've thought about it. The cook-to-take-care-of-my-family motivation that is the early foundation of the first season is, I think, a big red herring. It's not really his motivation. It's the motivation he uses to rationalize his actions.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Who is likable other than the brother-in-law?

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I think Jessie becomes that, don't you? His likability increases in direct proportion to Walt's decrease.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not to give too much away, but he sort of ruined that girlfriend a little. Plus, he does have some time behind a gun, and he makes meth.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Dick ... don't read this ...

But Jessie, for lack of a better term, is journeying toward the light while Walt moves further and further into darkness.

7. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I really enjoy that character. I remember the one scene where they meet in the cafe and they keep filming her talking from the side, because her nose moves in this unique way when she talks. That's probably one of the weirdest things I've ever found attractive. But it was a character that was sorely lacking on such a male-driven show.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The DEA chief and Gomez as well.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I finished the first season, and I have one little question that I'm sure they addressed at some point:

How did Jesse afford to buy a nice house like that?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Didn't he buy his parent's house? It's been awhile since I saw Season 1...

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

It was his deceased aunt's house that he was living in.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Right, but his parents owned it.

Draft saved Draft deleted