1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Breaking Bad - Season 1"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They were all likeable in their own ways, though, particularly Joey.

So far in "Breaking Bad," and I'm just through five episodes, both female characters are absolutely insufferable.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It'll get worse before it gets better.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Season 4 was a masterpiece.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I said it was a flaw thinking like a TV exec. No likable female presence limits the popularity of the show.

I'm the wrong person to ask anyways. I'm calloused to likability in fictional characters and real people. I only care that i can understnd a person's reasoning. I can then sympathize with them, usually when most others find them beyond such sympathy. It makes me a horrible judge of people and a horrible judge of what is compelling fiction to other people.

It's also why I'm a sucker for this last 15 years' binge of antihero shows from The Wire to The Shield to Breaking Bad to Louie. It's an immature outlook on life, but one I'm totally on board with.

5. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I honestly think a strong female character would take a little away from the theme of the show. This is a man at war with himself...an internal battle between good and evil. It is outstanding television that doesn't need more layers to muddle up the key component.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Without spoiling anything, I thought that the grim struggle to make ends meet was a great (and depressing part) of Season 1.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do they ever come out and say why he has cancer or why their older kid is handicapped?

8. joe

joe Active Member

Spoiler alert: Walter White cooks meth — really, really good meth.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think I saw on The Chive that real reason Walter is doing all of this is to finally teach Jesse chemistry.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dick,

It's called "Breaking Bad" not "Devoted to the Family."

Walter uses the excuse of needing to take care of his family to say FU to the world and start taking what he thinks he is owed.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I understand. I didn't mean it to seem as if I was questioning you in particular. I'm just throwing the question out there.

The show is successful without a likeable female character. At the very least, it built its success before any such character was introduced.

I don't watch the show anymore, but my wife is a fan.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

In my opinion,the show gets better with each season. And by season four the unlikeable characters outnumber the likeable ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted