1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking a Dish TV or Direct TV agreement

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Can you break a Direct TV or Dish TV agreement without a penalty if you are forced to move into an area that doesn't accept those services?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What part of Mars are you moving to?

Most satellite agreements are because they gave you something (free receiver, for example), and you give them something back (2 years of Total Choice subscription, for example). If they gave you something, you have to fill your end of the bargain somehow.

And you might have a problem convincing anyone you were "forced" to move anywhere. Might be the obvious or right move, but it still involves a choice.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not me. A family member has been transferred to another city. The complex that she is moving into is cable only.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I believe that is against federal law.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Wherever Martians use pawn shop-purchased laptops? [/crossthreading]

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, many apartment complexes don't allow dishes. (And sometimes, the dish company won't install the unit if you're not the owner of the roof. Couldn't get DirecTV at my last apartment for that reason.)

You can also break a cell phone contract early with no penalty if you move to an area the company doesn't service. Used to be more common a few years ago, but there's still some places that Verizon gets and AT&T doesn't, etc.

Anyway, the real solution here is: Go backdoor on her. 8)

7. beanpole

beanpole Member

I think if you send them a ring box of dog shit, they'll let you out of the contract.

If that doesn't work, go to HR.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It may be a complex rule, that doesn't allow for the dish to be attached to the building in any way. Probably because they perceive that as detracting from the property view.

I've been in apartments that had that type of rule, much like no propane grills allowed on deck.

You can get around the dish rule though. Get a post and mount it in a bucket with cement, and then attach the dish to the post.

Edit: buckw beat me to it and with an added bonus at the end. :D

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Dish might let you do that, but DirecTV won't. Had to be on a roof and had to be facing a certain direction (SW, in my case.)

I assumed the former was for liability issues, but who knows. Didn't question it, as long as they hooked me up right.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When I left Dish for DirecTV, I had a few months left on my contract and they said I'd be charged for it. They never did. Their loss; I was prepared to pay without complaint.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Looked it up: Unless the apartment is a designated historic spot or there is some kind of safety issue, the apartment has to allow you to install it... provided you have an area like a balcony or patio that is your own space.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Pretty important provision, though.

If you're not on a top floor, good luck finding a spot on your balcony -- assuming you have one -- that will actually get reception if there are trees or other buildings or anything else nearby.

I would say it's about 50/50 on complexes in which I've lived where residents have been allowed/able to install dishes.

Draft saved Draft deleted