1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Break up protocol

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Apr 8, 2013.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mr. P. Bear getting Stain's sloppy seconds...

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Unfriend her, block her, never talk to her again.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Make sure she gives you back your black T-shirt.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Good lord, it's not like she had a Jon Hamm-sized dick she forgot to mention. I get the unfriending, but let's not get obnoxious.

5. Hey Diaz!

Hey Diaz! Member

That was my first thought.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago: Five dates, a little fun (but no consummation) and she "dumped me" out of the blue. At the time I was very upset, but had little dating experience for someone my age when it happened. Looking back, if she never deemed us exclusive she didn't owe me a thing.

At the same time, I think she should have at least called you. Cutting things off on Facebook/with a text? That's not cool, IMO, regardless of the fact we're connected to our phones, tablets and laptops 24/7.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I was definitely out kicking my coverage in several other areas and she seemed to really have her shit together. I've dated another single mom in the past and she got crazy clingy very fast and definite did not have her shit together. Did not last long. Everyone has baggage, kid or not, some are able to handle their's better than others.

I currently live in a place where I don't have a lot of options, either the super immature girl just out of high school who's biggest goal is to go out and get bombed on the weekend -- which, um no -- hitting on the college girls I cover -- borderline creepy and I don't want to be that guy -- or the early/mid 30s group, which is the upper end of my target audience, however, there's a lot of single moms in that crowd. Everyone moves away after high school or college and some creep back later, and there are a couple that come here for work, but very few in the 24-30 range. Standards aren't super steep, but a couple of big ones really do limit the playing field. And I want a family, so I'm not so opposed to single moms.

I've been dumped more times than I can care to count -- doing so gets kind of depressing after a while -- not sure why this one hit hard and really pissed me off. It was great, a lot of chemistry, could talk for hours with no awkward pauses, a lot in common. Then, boom, out of nowhere, I get a FB message. If she wasn't feeling it, that's fine, just thought it was kind of cold and very light on explanation. Thought there should have been a phone call, but I knew it was also in some grey area, which is why I brought it to the boardto find out if my frustration was warranted. And I counted back, to clear things up, it was four dates and in trying to setting up the fifth is where it ended.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

no way. head AND a pinkie up the ass or you get real obnoxious. there will be no negotiating on this.
    and do NOT listen to care bear.

8. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

There is nothing about four or five dates and no sex that would make me think "exclusive relationship."

Ending whatever it was through Facebook Messenger is tacky, though.

I wouldn't date a single dad if the kids were young.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

How often do the kids live with the single dad, though? In that situation, you're probably looking at losing every other weekend. With a single mom, on the other hand, the kids are likely living with her. Which means, among other things, you're never the priority. (Not that you should be, but still.)

Selfish? Sure. But I don't think it's unreasonable for a single guy with no attachments to want to be priority No. 1 with someone that he's in a relationship with.

And that's before you get into the potential for ex drama. Not gonna happen in every case ... but I think it's a lot more likely where kids are involved, if only because she has to maintain communication with the guy.

10. ^^^ This.

Yeah, you are well-within your rights to be pissed ... But shit-in-a-box pissed? No.
    Less than six dates - w/o sex - is hardly exclusive.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The problem with single moms is mostly the single dads.

12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

This thread makes me wish the old "classic" thread where dude at his little commuter college was running around here saying "OMG! OMG! should I text or call this girl I hooked up with!?!?!!?!"

Draft saved Draft deleted