1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Break up protocol

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Just curious what the boards opinion is here.

A girl I had been seeing for a month, had four or five dates, a couple of real nice dinners, etc. breaks up with me out of nowhere through Facebook messenger. Kind of pissed off still. I personally would have appreciated a phone call as opposed to what amounts to an online text message.

Do I have a right to be angry over this?

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Depends. Were you at the "Hi it's me" stage?

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

"Hi it's me?"

I think so.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You missed that Seinfeld? At what point in a relationship do you get to Hi It's Me on the phone without having to give a name?

Plus there's the big question that I'm way too polite to ask but everyone will want to know before giving you a real answer.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it. There'll be another.

That being said ...

[​IMG]

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Five dates means you've had sex. If she is older than 25, she owes you a face-to-face breakup.

Of course, the phone call breakup is so much easier for both the breaker and the breakee.

The last time I broke up with a woman, I didn't have a Fb account or text messaging.

I have never been the breaker or the breakee via email, although I have asked a woman out via email, three times, and each led to a long-term relationship.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Damn ... I really am old.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I saw it, but with the advent of call display, it kind of jumps that.

Had we, ahem, consumated the relationship, no.

She's a single mom, didn't want to rush things, and I respected that. But she also dropped me for some one else.

Regardless, I'm pissed off one way or the other.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I wish. She's 32 I'm 30.

I can look back and see the red flags of where it went wrong, but still would have liked that phone call.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think she owes you a call saying she's breaking up after 4 or 5 dates (and apparently skipping the third date).

What would be normal, it seems to me, is that you call her to see if she wants to go out Saturday and she has to wash her hair that night. And every night until you get the hint.

At least that's what people in that situation did before Facebook.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If it's four dates and one broken date with no coitus, then I don't think you've got a legit beef.
    As Ace says, in the olden days you'd have just gotten the prolonged brush-off.
    Fb message is better than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted