1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breach of ethics or not?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Sep 17, 2014.

?

Journalist posts photo of next day's A1 to friend's Facebook page because she's featured above the f

1. No biggie, good way to drum up social media buzz.

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Not OK to give sneak peek unless it's via the paper's official social media accounts

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Pern,

Was. The. Story. Online?

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Reporters definitely get to have a personal page.
    My page is strictly for family and people I've identified as friends. I have dozens of friend requests from people I know who I have no interest in "friending" because I don't want them knowing anything about what I do.
    When I hear "social media" I think of a tool that's used to disperse information publicly. Hence, my facebook isn't social media. If the reporter in question has a public facebook and is doing this, I think it's a little sketchy; if it's his private site, then it's his business.
    If there is a breach of ethics, it's someone taking information from a private facebook site and making it public. It's modern-day gossiping and I've cut several people off my friends list because they've done this, including relatives.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No, it wasn't. He snapped a picture of the proofs and posted it. Stories went up later. That's why I questioned the professionalism of it. The paper had not yet made the story public.

Rhody, you're nuts. Anything you post online is in the public domain. You have to assume that anything you post will be seen by people you don't intend to see it. If you think otherwise, you're kidding yourself.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You have a severely overinflated belief in online "privacy." Especially when it comes to Facebook.

5. bigpern23

6. bigpern23

7. bigpern23

Sorry for the extra posts … Computer is acting up. No more delete post button?

Draft saved Draft deleted