1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breach of ethics or not?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Sep 17, 2014.

?

Journalist posts photo of next day's A1 to friend's Facebook page because she's featured above the f

1. No biggie, good way to drum up social media buzz.

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Not OK to give sneak peek unless it's via the paper's official social media accounts

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So a friend and former colleague took a picture of the next day's A1 and posted it on his friend's Facebook page because a story about the town supporting her work as an artist will appear above the fold.

Seemed to me to like this is a breach of ethics, or at least etiquette, to do so via his personal social media. If the newspaper wanted to preview its front page, I'm assuming it would have done so via its official social media pages. I feel like it puts the reporter in a bad light, in that it gives the appearance that her story is being printed (stripped across the top of A1, no less) because of their personal acquaintance, rather than for news value.

So what say you, oh, protectors of the Shield fishwrap?

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Absolutely nothing unethical, or even unprofessional, about it.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

No problem with this whatsoever unless the paper had some kind of breaking news it was trying to keep quiet.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Start stacking those digital dimes 12 hours early?

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

No issue at all, unless as Recovering said, there was a scoop they were trying to keep quiet. But, even then, doesn't this scream "We had it first!"

I do similar things often when we have a special section to drum up interest and seeing how my boss (and his boss) have retweeted me doing it in the past....

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

One of the rags around here has a relative taking sports pics -- of her relatives, leaving when they are finished competing. Also takes pics and runs stories of another relative, who I guess is a bigwig in town.

And their other child -- the intern? He wrote a feature story on ... himself.

This pales in comparison to the shit I've seen.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Why wasn't the story online already?

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

That is great. Reminds me of Piper's Pit when Roddy interviewed the greatest ever

http://www.popscreen.com/v/7zgYU/Rowdy-Roddy-Piper-Interviews-Himself

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If it's a personal page, it's no big deal. No different than him telling the person over the phone.
    Personal Facebook pages aren't "social media." I hate when they get described like that. My personal Facebook is a place for friends and family to see pics of my kids and hear me bitch. If you're not friends with me, there's no access. It's designed that way.
    If this guy's page is the same way, there's nothing wrong here.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Disagree on the idea that personal pages aren't "social media." They absolutely are and many reporters have been fired for things they've posted on their "personal" pages. Like it or not, reporters don't get the privilege of a "personal" page.

And it's certainly different than a phone call. You can't possibly believe that.

That said, I suppose I can come around to the general agreement on this thread that it's not a big deal.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Isn't saying Facebook isn't social media if you only share with your family and friends sorta like saying a party isn't a social gathering if you only invite family and friends?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Using your personal FB page to answer a question about why your paper does something can blow up in your face in ways you may never have intended, or imagined, so you really should be careful how your personal FB page answers a question as a representative of your paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted