1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Braylon Edwards gives nearly a year's salary to help students

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Except Edwards probably knows the first names of some of these children.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

This.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Braylon punched out one of LeBron's buddies, which was the final straw resulting in him being shipped out of town. There should be a bit of revisionist history with that and this turning Braylon into a Cleveland folk hero.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

You can say whatever you want about a guy that sends 79 kids to college that not otherwise would have gone.

I am good with it.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I will forever remember Braylon Edwards and Fred Taylor who when I was playing fantasy football (hi sprited).....the running joke was that neither one of these two could step out of the shower without pulling a hamstring.

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Why not set the bar higher, like at least a 3.0? High school is pretty simple regardless.

7. Clambake Clem

Clambake Clem Member

Re: Braylon Edwards gives nearly a year\'s salary to help students

He would always play pick-up basketball with the neighborhood kids in Westlake (Cleveland suburb) when he was in Cleveland. Actually a really nice guy that just does not know how to shut up when there is a microphone in front of him.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Easy there, Debbie Downer. :)

I think the idea is that he's helping a kid go to college who isn't able to afford it, not necessarily making them excel in high school. You don't need a 3.0 to get into college. If you get below a 2.5, you probably weren't planning to go anyway. If he set it at 3.0, there might have been a bunch of kids who wanted to go to college who would have missed on a chance to further their education.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Go Blue.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Let's just hope he didn't personally drive to each kid's home to deliver the checks.

What was your household income growing up?

Graduating high school is a big deal in poor neighborhoods. "Only half of Cleveland public school students graduate high school," according to the blog post. And you can graduate most high schools with a 2.0 GPA.

Then again, you're a Michigan State fan, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted