1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brawl: Your guesses here on suspension lengths

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I could concede that (not sure I would, have to think some more - do you doubt that those Pistons teams win minus Thomas plus Kidd?), and still say he's overrated. Between the 2 titles & the hugs & kisses with Magic, he's often referred to as a peer of the other 3. He's not, not even close.

2. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

If you told me before Magic came out that he had AIDS and you told me one of these three players would have AIDS (Magic, Thomas or Barkley), I would have picked gay boy Thomas.

3. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

I agree that he's not in the discussion as Magic/Bird.

But your other argument is weak. Hell, if you put Stockton in for Magic, the Lakers still win titles. You put Nash in there, the Lakers win titles. If you put Barkley on the Celtics for McHale, the Celtics still win titles. You can play this game all day.

I'm sure what you've got is a personal bias, and that's cool. Feel free to admit it.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Wow.

Just wow.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I disagree with all of those except the last one, and I'm not sure McHale was better than Barkley, and I hate Barkley almost as much as Isaiah - well, maybe not that much. NAsh or Stockton may have won a title with those Lakers, but maybe not, and certainly not done what Magic did.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Many of you are nuts. Carmelo will get the most games. 10, maybe 15. He threw a haymaker and connected. Throwing a punch is the cardinal no no. Stu ain't gonna equate the gasoline that Nate Robinson poured on the fire to that.

Robinson and J.R. Smith will almost definitely get less than Anthony, but it may or may not be severe, depending on how much of a statement the league wants to make.

Mardy Collins could get hit with 5 games, or something more than the one or two games guys like Jeffries, Camby, etc. get. It was his second flagrant foul in two nights in blowout situations, I believe.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The only guy who calls it the Magic/Bird/Jordan/Thonas era is Isiah.

He actually did this once in an SI article. Two weeks later, there was a letter to the editor mocking him for putting himself in the same class as the other three.

He was a great, great player -- but overshadowed by the others.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

A_F, if you're seriously putting Isiah as a player ahead of Frazier or Cousy, you have even less of a clue than I thought.

I think Isiah was a great player but he is not among the top 5 "point guards" of all-time.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And Jerry West was a point guard for most of his career, too, so knock Isiah back another notch.

10. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

does anyone think some of the comments made by robinson and thomas afterwards will play a role in this? there was no remorse whatsoever and when robinson was asked if he regretted it, he said "no"..

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Carmelo - 10 games
    Robinson - 10 games
    Collins - 5 games
    Smith - 5 games

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I always enjoy A-F's off-the-cuff lists.

In this case, he omits Gary Payton, who was worlds better than Isiah.

Draft saved Draft deleted