1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brawl: Your guesses here on suspension lengths

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Melo and Robinson, 12 each.

Collins, 8 games.

Smith, 6.

Lee, Jefferies, Frye, Miller, Najera, Camby, 2 each.

Various others off bench after studying the videotape, 1 each.

Isiah Thomas, 8 games, a massive fine and a public reprimand from Stern, and an immediate season-long suspension if he utters one word other than "Yes Sir Mr. Stern."

2. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

I actually don't think Robinson started it. After initially playing peacemaker, he was acting tough (like everyone else) and I saw Carmelo grab his throat. Then Smith broke loose and Nate and Melo went into the first row.

Unlike Detroit, where I thought cup-throwing guy was the starter, I'm not sure there is one person who can be the cause of this fight (unless you want to go Mardy Collins or isiah Thomas)

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

As I said on the other brawl thread:

Melo and Robinson get the same, 15 or 20...I'm guessing 20
    Collins and Smith get 5 each.
    The six other guys who were ejected get 3 apiece.
    Anybody who came off the bench automatically gets 1

Isiah should get the rest of the season (and all subsequent seasons) off just because he's fucking awful as well as stupid. He'll probably get 3 games for his post-game (and maybe in game) comments.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Melo -- 7 games
    Nate -- 5 games
    Collins -- 3 games
    Smith -- 3 games
    Jeffries -- 2 games
    Everyone else -- 1 game

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Better yet, Stern should send Zeke to Hell and make him coach for Lucifer...for eternity.

Spike Lee could coax the Knicks into the first round of the playoffs on the bench.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

CAn Knick fans petition for more?

7. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Isiah Thomas was a good basketball player but a horrible owner, GM and head coach. He is also not a very good person as this has been brought to light over the years.

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Why do people think the other players who got ejected should be suspended? Is it a rule that if you're ejected it's an auto-suspension? Most of those guys were playing peacemaker and really shouldn't be punished because some of their teammates went off.

Carmelo gets 10.. which is about right
    Robinston gets 10... but I don't think he should get as many as Carmelo but probably will
    Smith gets 5.. which is probably right
    Collins gets 5... I think he should get 3, but I can see there being symmetry in how much the guys get

I know Isiah sucks and all, but do people really think this was Temple goon type incident were he -- ironically -- told Collins to do this? That foul didn't seem too premeditated... plus I doubt the Knicks lisen to anything Thomas says, let alone on something like this.

9. Guy_Incognito

And he was overrated as a basketball player.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Guy, I hope that you're making a joke based on Rodman's line about Bird, because, whatever his failings post-retirement, Thomas was as good of a guard that I've seen. If anything, his achievments have been skipped over in the Bird-Magic-MJ era.

11. Guy_Incognito

Not at all. What bugs me is when people call it the Bird/Magic/Thomas/MJ era just because the Pistons won those two titles in the missle, as though Chauncy Billups will need mention along with Kobe, Duncan etc. Dumars was as important to those teams, if not more so, and they won primarily because of style of play + there were a couple of years after Bird & Magic were done before Jordan was ready.

Did you not see Jordan & Magic?

12. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Ideally, we would just stick to the brawl suspensions, but seeing as someone started it, and it's too easy to pass up ... Thomas overrated? Isiah Thomas is one of the Top 5 point guards in NBA history.

He averaged 19 and 9, and no matter your thoughts on him personally and post-career, he does have 2 titles, which is two more than two other great point guards, John Stockton and Jason Kidd. And make whatever argument you want about Thomas and those titles ... it came DURING the Magic Johnson era (albeit the tail end) and the Jordan era (beginning of his postseason greatness). I refuse, however, to call it the Johnson/Bird/Jordan/Thomas era. It's just the first three.

Based strictly on what they did on the court during their career, how can you make an argument for Thomas lower than 3rd or 4th?

Magic
    Oscar
    Thomas
    Cousy
    Stockton
    Kidd
    Frazier
    Nash

Draft saved Draft deleted