1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bravo's "Tabloid Wars"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OceanLottery, Jul 23, 2006.

1. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I thought it was pretty good, by which I mean well put together.
    Everyone looks like a "hard-boiled newsman" (no women in sight, really).
    The guy they had knocking on doors in Howard Beach trying to find relatives of this race attacker was a classic: disheveled, crude, messy-looking.
    It was sort of strange when they cut back and forth to both sides of a phone conversation, with the other end of the conversation dubbed in. It sort of sounded like they had done a retake. I guess they had a lot of cameras following them. But they seemed to stay out of sight and weren't part of the story.

The format, of course, makes the jobs seem far more dramatic than they really are, because they skip all the down time. And the decision-making process about how lurid to make the next day's headline was pretty interesting.

The only thing I wondered about was who actually wrote the main story. The reporters were out in the field. They didn't really address that. I don't think Mr. Disheveled was typing in a laptop in the taxicab and sending it via cell phone.

Enough, already, about the guy following Christian Slater's fondling situation getting married the next day. OK, we get it. You're getting married, but you're still dedicated to stalking Christian Slater. Given how reluctant you were to leave the office that day, of all days, good luck with that. ;D

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

i loved the shots of the editors with blank looks on their faces. did the asian one ever speak? ??? ???

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Finally getting around to watching this one. I like it so far, although it definitely zips through the process. I thought to myself, if they came in and did a reality show of the department I work in, a lot of it would be us waiting for phone calls, sitting and covering games or talking about fantasy baseball and movie.

I get a kick out of Hud, the gossip columnist. Carson Kressley, a Bravo bretheren of the show, completely turned his back on the guy at a party. Go figure.

4. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Hilarious.

5. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

Hud's attitude is misplaced..shouldn't he be working his sthick at the Lady? He's a dick

6. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

That being said..The show puts the NYDN is a whole new light for me. After two freelance gigs and what was a long day..I DVR'd it and watched at 3 am..

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I don't want to watch the gossip-gathering shit.

Have they done anything with the police reporting yet?

8. Superman

Superman Guest

Just in case we all forgot that we're a celeb-obsessed country. Even the lady that does the wacky feature stories has more merit than a damn gossip columnist. The prostate story is probably the only bit of real news Hud has ever written. Know why? Because he's not "Kerry fucking Burke."

9. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Police reporting was a big part of the 2nd episode (so was gossip-gathering, too)

10. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Kerry Burke at the Harry Potter book release was priceless.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This has been great TV. I'm sure this series will be used as instructional material at some J-schools this fall.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

what a joke. the top editor is britiish or australian. one of the featured reporters has a thick boston accent. and both these guys talk about "my city." couldn't they have found a isreal new yawk reporter to tail?

and the gossip emphasis drives me nuts. the daily news has a first-rate sports section, but the front of the paper is as every bit cartoonish as the n.y. post.

and is there any more of an obnoxious figure than the young gossip intern, that waspy hudson somebody?

at least we learned last night that the asian editor can speak.

Draft saved Draft deleted