1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bravo to Jason Taylor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Steroids do help a lot for football players. My contention is that Merriman has been pretty dominant since he got to the league, and also in college. So either he was somehow getting by all the other tests he took, or it was an isolated incident. I go with option B. A lot of other people do too. There are plenty of other instances, especially in baseball, where guys have break out years seemingly from no where, which arouses much suspicion.

But to be honest, I don't give a rat's ass who wins defensive poy. Either one would be fine with the numbers they put up.

2. Silly argument I'm sick of hearing. It's kind of hard to test positive when there is no testing.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that weed, for lack of a better word, is good. Weed is right, weed works.
    Weed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Thank you, Gordon Greenleaf.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Smoke'm if you got'm

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You ain't got 'em, son, you hit rock bottom.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

On a serious note. And I'm often not serious on these boards...But, I will give it a try ;)

Shawne Merriman is an outstanding man. A man who came from nothing. Almost literally. A caring man. A man who gives back. And gives back often, never searching for recognition.
    I've dealt with him on several occasions, and you can't help notice his sincerity and humility.
    Be careful damning an entire being for one mistake. If that were the case, many of us -- myself included -- would also be in trouble.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Now, if people here were to follow THAT advice, the entire message board would be about 10 topics long.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He still cheated. He may be on his way to earning sainthood, but he cheated. And I sincerely doubt it was a one-time incident. It's amazing to me how we keep assuming the worst of some people who have never even tested positive while we are so quick to forgive the transgressions of others who have been caught.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But, but, he plays in the NFL and they have The Greatest Drug Testing Program In The World. It HAD to be the first time he's every used anything.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Here is the thing: I guarentee there are guys on Jason Taylor's own team -- his own defense in fact -- that are using steroids. Or HgH. And I bet Taylor could even tell you who they are. Taylor may be clean, and bravo if he is, but every player in the NFL knows that the league's roid problem goes a lot deeper than Shawne Merriman.

But again, we've reached the point where we're more interested in watching cartoon characters than human beings down on the football field. Take away roids and weed, and the NFL would look a lot different. And people would complain when half the team was on IR eight weeks into the season. So it's in everyone's best interests to keek quiet, I guess.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'm not defending what Shawne Merriman did. I'm just telling you he's a good kid.
    And, if anyone should be allowed a Mulligan, it's him. That's all.

Draft saved Draft deleted