1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bravo for Bill Clinton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Well, we all know "Countdown" is an impartial, agenda-free program.

2. Ok, this is TOO easy -- the sky is red and orange out here at sunset because of the smoke from the fires. Really, it is.

As for the Countdown thing, I wish I had just mentioned that it was on the news and not said what show. Of course, as a journalist, I recognize that Countdown has a liberal slant.

But I'm sorry - any sort of journalist, heck, any rational person would question the promises Bush has made in regards to the fire victims after Katrina. That's been the story ALL over the local and national news.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, I think he had it on some level. There's no human being alive that can witness the destruction that the fires have caused and not feel some sympathy for the victims of a natural disaster.

But knowing his background and his life, I also know that he's rarely dealt with the everyday problems that real people face. Born on third base, thought he hit a triple, etc., etc. He can't relate to everyday people, and a lot of that is of his own choosing. He's insulated himself from the real world, and not just when he became president. It's just his personality, specifically his very real lack of intellectual curiosity. He doesn't want to be a part of the real world; he likes his own little world that was mostly handed to him by Daddy and Co.

All silver-spooners, no matter their politics, have to work hard to overcome that factor, and understand the real world and the problems that less fortunate people face. He doesn't want to overcome it -- he's made that clear by his actions, and it's clear by his interactions with everyday people.

It's not Bush's politics that turn me off; hell, I voted for him once in a previous life. It's the way he can't even comprehend what real people go through every day, and the way he doesn't even want to know, let alone learn, about it. It's a lack of intellectual curiosity -- and I despise that more than anything.

His dad isn't like that. Reagan wasn't like that. Fuck, even Nixon wasn't like that. They had a curiosity about the world and the people in it.

Dubya does not. And that's the one trait that I cannot respect in anyone over the age of, oh, about 7. Politics be damned.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh wait a minute, the federal government will take care of it, just ask Fenian and Pastor. We are incapable of living our lives without the federal government. They will always be in our corner, always do the right thing and there is no way in the world that the federal government will ever let anyone down, ever. In fact, they already have the funds together to clean up this mess -- well they will just as soon as they attach a bunch of pork and spending projects to the next "clean air" bill then come to your house on tax day and force you to pick up the bill.......

5. You really need some new material. Government is bad. They're all crooks and liars. We get it.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

7. For $3000, you get....
    Naw, that's too easy.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Maybe SportsJournalists.comers would like to contribute to my photo-op with Bill.

$20.00 via Paypal would be the easiest way.

Oh, wait that's $20.00 Canadian. Based on today's exchange rate, you'd have to send me $22.00 US dollars. :)

Thanks!

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Well played!

10. Actually, ah....
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/25/AR2007102502488.html

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As they say, you can't make this stuff up.

If it weren't so scary it'd be hilarious.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That is fucking amazing. Just fucking amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted