1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BRAVES sold to Liberty Media

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Word.

I had a pipe dream the deal would fall through, and the team to end up with Blank.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

You're just in denial about Bobby Cox, that's all.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

How will this affect the Braves vis-a-vis TBS, though? I'm sure there is a formal contract signed there, but the main reason the Braves were on TBS was because both were controlled by the same folk.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

IIRC TBS is going to be doing 30 games this year, and according to a story I read a few weeks ago, there won't be any more national broadcasts after that. 'Course, there's always MLBTV.com. Most of Atlanta's broadcasts are already on regional networks anyway.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Liberty would love to clean up with a regional sports network, I'm sure.

6. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Yeah, but where does that leave us up here in KY who grew up as Braves fans because they were the most entertaining option on TV. I don't consider myself a bandwagon fan, since I've been a Braves fan all my life, but the reason I became a Braves fan was because they were on TV all the time and the Reds and Cubs were boring.

And their regional network doesn't span into central KY, which sucks.

I realize Braves fans have probably become spoiled by the fact that they always were on TV, but when your only other options are the Cubs (which mix bad baseball with worse announcing) and the Reds (pretty much the same), it's pretty bad when the Bravos get cut off.

Oh well.

7. I think TBS has 70 Braves games nationally this year and next year they get 35 to broadcast locally in Atlanta. Then that's all she wrote.

TBS also has a national agreement to do 26 Saturday games next season - so the Braves could be on a couple of those. They also have the Divisional Playoffs starting this year - so that could be some more Braves games there too.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I know what you mean.

I could easily become a Nats fan, but oh yeah, I have Comcast and don't get the Peter Angelos Network. Thanks again Pete, you fucktard.

9. CollegeJournalist

Like I said, my only options are the Reds and the Cubs. The Cardinals are close, but their games aren't broadcasted in Central KY, and the Braves are the only other team that's really close other than, say, the Indians, who aren't broadcasted here either.

I used to love watching the Cubbies, but since they ditched Steve Stone and lost the old boys like Grace and even Sosa, they aren't interesting to me anymore. The ChiSox are on every now and then, but for whatever reason, I'm just not a big AL fan. I love the purity of the NL game, with no DH, etc.

I guess my baseball season is regulated to ESPN's Sunday night games (almost always AL or West Coast teams) and University of Kentucky baseball, since they're a two minute walk from where I live. At least they play a VERY interesting and fun style of ball.

10. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Here's the deal: It's obvious that the only way to watch sports in the near future is to buy premium channels. No more network broadcasts. So, I should shell out $50 for cable and another $50 to watch baseball (not to mention another package for football) when I used to watch it without spending more?

On my limited salary, fuck sports programming. I'm not shelling out any more money for it.

11. CollegeJournalist

Your limited salary? While I totally understand where you're coming from, try being a college kid with virtually no income who's one or two years removed from being a competitive baseball player and just wants to watch their favorite team.

It sucks man. It sucks for all of us.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

we're mad as hell and we're not gonna take it anymore ...

Draft saved Draft deleted