1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Braves hiring Fredi Gonzalez as Bobby's replacement?...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 12, 2010.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...as a Braves fanboi, I'm happy about this...

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2010-10-12/braves-expected-to-hire-fredi-gonzalez-to-replace-bobby-cox

2. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

I mentioned this in a column a while back. Bobby pretty much gave him the endorsement when he was fired from Florida.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Been the feeling all along, I thought. I never thought there was a question.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Seemed preordained.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

As a Braves fan, I'll go for that. I was just afraid it was going to be Terry Pendleton.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Good. Got that done. OK, time to start the pursuit of Jason Werth.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, once Gonzalez showed no interest in the Cubs' job, you knew he had this in his back pocket.

As for Werth, novelist, I'd love to see it, but I doubt it happens. The Braves just don't seem willing as an organization to plow big money into free-agent hitters.

As I mentioned on the other thread, they haven't signed a big-ticket free-agent hitter since Galarraga in 1998. And they haven't signed a big-name free-agent hitter in his prime since Terry Pendleton in December 1990.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Braves can have him.

Nats are going to get Jayson Werth, the guy who plays for the Phillies.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Doh.

Steak, that history is all well and good, but the fact is Wagner and Glaus are coming off the payroll as is Derek Lee. I like the idea of dealing Kawakami for lesser payroll and kicking in some cash. There's no place for him anyway in this rotation. Freddie Freeman's going to play first. The one glaring hole they have, assuming Chipper Jones comes back, is a power-hitting outfielder, and they're going to have the money to spend. I'll be severely disappointed if they don't. And they don't want me severely disappointed.

10. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

I'm thinking next year's team will look like this:

C - McCann
    1B - Freeman
    2B - Prado
    3B - Infante
    SS - Gonzalez
    RF - Heyward
    CF - Ankiel
    LF - Diaz/Cabrera

Basically screwing the Braves and any chances they had at winning.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'd love to see Werth in a Braves uniform. I'm thinking it's a big wish, but I've been on that bandwagon for a while.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Glaus only made $1.75 MM this year, so losing him won't help the payroll much.

And I can't imagine anyone will take on Kawakami's salary unless the Braves kick in one of their big prospects. The best they can hope for is he opts to return to Japan and agrees to some sort of buyout.

Draft saved Draft deleted