1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Braves ditching The Ted for suburbs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rico_the_redneck, Nov 11, 2013.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

No cutouts around the bases for sliding. That must be fun.

Most fields up here in rain country are all FieldTurf, except for the mound. Sliding does not appear to be an issue whatsoever. On the baseball-only fields, they use brown FieldTurf to simulate the skin portion of the infield.

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

From what I've seen during the Nats' series, it's because there are about 38 people at the game.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Wonder what kind of crowd they got for the Hibbing vs. Oakton game at 5:30 a.m., Feb. 26?

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

COllege baseball in the Superdome.

5. Dr StrangePork

Dr StrangePork New Member

We have a few high school fields with field turf, watching them slide on it makes for some interesting plays... especially if it is wet. Lots of people tagged out or caught stealing because they end up sliding two feet past the base

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Now whenever I hear "Raise Your Hands," I'll be thinking of Tulane baseball instead of "Spaceballs." Thanks a lot.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Multi-use stadiums built in the 60's tended to suck because they were two-deck stadiums designed as a circle. The football field was laid out in the middle of the circle. For football the stands were a long way from the field and behind the end zones. For baseball a lot of seats were in the upper deck or outfield. So we moved to single use stadiums.

But what has surprised me is that we still have dual use hockey and basketball arenas. I think watching basketball in a hockey arena sucks. The vast majority of the seats are behind the foul lines and there is usually unused space behind the baseline seats. You are along way away from the action if you are in the end of a hockey arena trying to watch hoops.

I went to Indiana. Capacity at Assembly Hall is comparable to an NBA arena but even in the student sections I felt like I had a better seat than in a dual use arena. I think someone should build a basketball only arena. I also think it would be better for concerts.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

To make an arena profitable, you need to fill it over 150 dates a year at least. Even most big cities don't draw enough concert tours, WWE, ice circus type acts for two facilities to share. So dual use is economic necessity.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

True. But how many single-use football and baseball stadiums are profitable? Even the old dual stadiums frequently struggled to make money. But the teams were able to garner public subsidies. I am surprised it has not happened in basketball and hockey.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Fuck 12up.
    I couldn't get rid of the 7 Craziest Names in Baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted