1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Braves ditching The Ted for suburbs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rico_the_redneck, Nov 11, 2013.

1. http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/braves-plan-to-build-new-stadium-in-cobb/nbpNQ/

All I can say is WTF?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Attendance will skyrocket. The Braves' biggest problem in recent years hasn't been fan complacency, but that 80 percent of their fans live an hour or more from the ballpark.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Pretty much my exact reaction when I saw the same thing.

My first thought is that it brings the team closer to Cobb but takes it away from Gwinnett, but in actual fact, it's basically at 75 and 285, so the distance difference is negligible for anyone coming from Gwinnett. Just means going around the perimeter instead of through downtown. More than likely trading one traffic cluster for another, but oh well.

4. My thinking is they belong downtown where they've been for nearly 50 years. Turner Field is a great ballpark - I love the view of the skyline that wasn't there with Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. Someone on the AJC site suggested maybe the Marietta Braves now? Or could we could just call them the Georgia Braves? I know this is naive, but how many MLB teams are in the suburbs? The really great ones all seem to be in the city.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, I can't think what's wrong with Turner Field to necessitate a move. It's a perfectly good ballpark. And what then becomes of that? Is Atlanta gonna knock down its Olympic stadium 20 years after the games?

6. Steak Snabler

It's less about traffic and more about demographics. Your average Atlanta baseball fan (i.e., white person with money in most cases) lives a 2-hour commute to/from Turner Field. That's a lot to ask on a work night.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It will have gotten more use than most Olympic stadia, post Olympics.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How far do they work from there? If you work in downtown Atlanta and have to deal with typical Atlanta traffic, are you going to be able to make a 7 p.m. game?

Is this just an effort to get some cash from the city?

Too bad if this happens, because I liked the ballpark. Suburban ballparks are meh. I'd be curious to see what gets built up around there.

9. prhack

prhack Member

I live on the west side of the city in the county adjacent to Cobb, and I think this is a horrible idea. I can get to Turner Field in 40 minutes using I-20. There's no way I'll do better trying to get to the new location in the snarl that is 75/285/Cobb Parkway. I can't imagine trying to get there for a 7:10 game from Gwinnett County or somewhere to the south.

10. Steak Snabler

Kansas City and Texas are two off the top of my head. I guess you can technically say the Mets are in the suburbs.

Tampa Bay's ballpark is in St. Petersburg proper but at the extreme south end.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Mets are not in the suburbs. They're not "downtown", but they are in the city proper. Sort of like the Brewers.

The Rays are on the edge of downtown St. Pete. You can walk there from anywhere downtown. It's just that St. Pete has a small downtown. (And, they would have been better off building the stadium where the parking lot is. It would have put it a couple of blocks closer to the heart of downtown.)

12. Steak Snabler

The new Braves stadium will hold just 42,000. Turner Field holds about 51,000.

That's a significant drop, but not an issue since the current park is never full anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted