1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Braveheart

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Finally got around to watching after all these years. Good movie but did not come away with the feeling that it was one of best movies I've ever watched . Parts dragged and Mel Gibson's mannerisms seemed like he was playing his Lethal Weapon part in a kilt.

In the genre thought Gladiator was much better.

It's a movie that has always been on my radar. Many pro athletes have always cited Braveheart as their favorite movie in those human interst stories.

2. Agreed, Boom.
    Very overrated.
    Gibson hired some of the Irish army for his battle scenes and I met a couple of the guys and they absolutely hated working for him. Apparently, he's a dick to other people besides the CHP.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Braveheart kicks Gladiator's ass.

4. Boom_70

Braveheart dragged in parts while Gladiator did not.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've still never seen this flick.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think Boom and F_B might have gotten to the party too late on this one.

The movie's been out for nearly 13 years. It's hard for a film that is so widely applauded to meet your expectations if you wait 13 years to see it.

I, for instance, didn't care for The Exorcist. Didn't see it till like 1999 and it didn't come close to living up to the hype as one of the scariest movies of all time.

Given the choice of popping Gladiator or Braveheart into the DVD player right now, I'd probably go with Gladiator, but it wouldn't be an automatic decision.

Braveheart is a great, great movie.

7. Boom_70

Well then it does not stand the test of time. Some movies are timeless - for example Casablanca. I guess Braveheart is not one of them. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed, but it does not make the list as one of my all time favorites.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I didn't see The Exorcist until 2005, and it was worth the wait.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I immerse myself in the idea of Braveheart more than Gladiator. And, I do freely admit to favoring films with great open-air cinematography over a CGI fest.

And, frankly, I love Mel Gibson as an on-screen presence. He's a decent chunk ahead of Crowe in my book, though the Aussie-born star was tremendous in The Insider and L.A. Confidential.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

See, I disagree. I just think it couldn't stand the test of expectations.

I'm not saying it should be in your list of all-time favorites, by any means. After all, how many people under the age of 80 would count Citizen Kane among their favorite films of all-time? Does that mean it doesn't stand the test of time?

It is still largely regarded as the best film ever made, even though I think you'd be hard-pressed to find more than a couple of true cinephiles who have it in their top five favorite movies.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I liked it because it showed boobies.

12. Boom_70

And might I say....

I did like how the ladies blossomed - specially the queen.

What was with The kings son - he was odd

Draft saved Draft deleted