1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Braun wins appeal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Feb 23, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why would anyone be convinced? Seriously, if he played for any one of the other 29 teams you'd be howling about the absurdity of it all.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My bad there. I was trying to make light of our feud, but the execution was lacking.

Back to the conversation.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Would you feel the same if he played for the Cubs? I doubt it.

4. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Tony, it pisses them off because if you read the initial thread, they all jumped the gun. Rather than admit it now, it's far easier to stay pissed off and refuse they may have done so.

This kind of shit always gets me. The verdict is irrelevant. Ever since the initial story broke, the verdict could have been, "He's innocent. We have a video tape of a guy clubbing Braun with a bat, taking steroids and then peeing into a cup and that's why Braun failed. At the end of the video he peers into the camera and yells 'Go Cards.'"

It wouldn't matter. The people who play the "naive" card are just as annoying as the most naive of people. The people who believe in Braun and the people who don't, both actually know the same amount: jack shit.

You don't know that Braun cheated. You don't know that he didn't. Stop acting like you do.

What I do know is that he has raked at every level and has passed test after test, then suddenly fails one with an abnormally high level of testosterone, says it's whack, and becomes the first ever pro player to win an appeal, while the commissioner of the league (the former owner of his team) remains in disagreement with the decision.

That's good enough for me.

Braun will get over it with millions of dollars and fans, but if he is innocent, it does suck that they dragged him through the mud like this.

5. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

No doubt.

MLB still has to answer for why this got leaked, without even getting into the stupidity of them "vehemently disagreeing" with their own testing and appeals process.

6. As an aside - I seem to recall people saying Braun's levels of testosterone were the highest ever seen. If the sample was tainted it would make sense that something measured in parts per million would be very high. His innocence may be buttressed by fact that the sample was not in normal levels of those caught cheating in past.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Another Aaron Rodgers tweet:

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The bickering over whether Braun was guilty or not misses the real issue: MLB's inability to run a proper testing program.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Please point out who "they" are. We know those most vehemently defending him are Brewers fanbois, but who is the "they"?

10. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Maybe there was a guy in the stands with a white shirt.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd really like to know how being 24 hours late causes a sample to spike from clean to the highest testosterone level ever recorded.

I'd also like to know why the testing agency would want to frame Ryan Braun. I mean, if he really is clean (hahahaha) then somebody tampered with the sample in order for Braun's clean urine (bwahahahaha) to test at a testosterone level higher than any ever previously recorded.

Maybe it was the same guy who spiked Ben Johnson's water bottle in Seoul?

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I would. Or the Cards. Anyone who thinks drug testing is infallible is on drugs themselves.

I also note that those pointing to the NYTimes report to claim "technicality" conveniently ignore the line in that same story that says whatever it was, it wasn't steroids. Why do you suppose that is?

Draft saved Draft deleted