1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Braun named NL ROY; Pedroia wins AL ROY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Nov 12, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why do you make this man cry?

[​IMG]

I came up May 16, 1990...nine days earlier than Braun this year! Why don't I deserve the ROY? :)

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I think 1990 is the year Hamlin won at 28? I'm too lazy to look at the list.

And Justice only had a monster two-month stretch. He barely played his first month after the call-up, IIRC.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

1994 is when Battlin' Bob Hamelin won it.

And you're correct about Justice. He was on fire from Aug. 1 on, when he hit 20 of his 28 home runs. At the end of July, he was hitting .250, 8 HR, 28 RBI in 220 AB.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

For whatever reason, he uses WARP instead of WARP-3, which would give you a projection of their pace over a full 162 games. Still, Tulo wins the WARP-3 battle in a landslide, 11.1 - 4.8.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

By all means, he should have used WARP-3. Winning the WARP-3 battle is always important.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Yeah, you don't like it, I know. I was just answering the question about whether his analysis took into account the game difference. It didn't. I showed what it would have been if it did, eg. he'd reach the same conclusion.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Over a scrub named Manny Ramirez.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Well, there is recent precedent. I give you Ryan Howard in 2005.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/awards_2005.shtml#NLroy

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Right. And as BYH noted, there is historical precedent, too, with Justice.

Still don't think a guy who plays 120 games can be more deserving than a guy who plays 150 games, unless he's just above and beyond everyone else.

I ain't gonna lose sleep over Braun winning today -- he's got a strong, strong case. But so does Tulowitzki.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Still trying to wrap our head around this crazy thing called OBP, are we?

(Kidding. I'm usually in favor of splitting the difference between the grizzled old baseball men and the people who treat it like a cross between Mathletes and Dungeons and Dragons.)

Draft saved Draft deleted