1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Braun named NL ROY; Pedroia wins AL ROY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Just released on mlb.com.

Braun wins by just 2 points: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071112&content_id=2298624&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've got no problem with those selections. Sure, Toluwitsky and Bannister were good candidates, but there is nothing wrong with Braun and Pedroia.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

No problem with the selections either, but I would have liked to see a tie atop the NL.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I thought Troy Tulowitzki was more deserving of NL ROY than Braun.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Bannister, like Dice-K, lost his chance with late-season struggles.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Tulo had a great year and it would have been cool to have both ROY make it to a World Series.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Braun got 17 first-place votes and 14 second-place votes.
    Tulo got 15 first-place votes and 17 second-place votes.

So someone had Braun at No. 3, behind Tulo and Chris Young I'm guessing...

EDIT: Nope, someone gave KYLE KENDRICK a second-place vote ... good god :eek:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2007/11/12/more-details-on-braun-s-victory.aspx

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Well, Kendrick did have 10 wins -- five in his last six decisions in August and September for the NL East champions, so I can see why someone voted for him. But not at second place; not this season.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Even though Kendrick was a major reason in the Phillies' success during the second half of the season, I don't think I would give him a second place vote. I could see third or fourth, but second?

10. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Of course, but defense doesn't matter when it comes to these awards. Hell, defense doesn't matter for Gold Gloves any longer. :)

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think a lot of the Tulo over Braun love comes because the Rockies got so hot and the end and went to the World Series. Over the regular season, Braun had an electrifying effect on the Brewers and should have been the choice. That isn't to say that Tulo played like a scrub. But Braun had the bigger impact on the regular season.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well-said. Before the playoffs, I'm not sure how many people could have spelled Tulowitzki. *checking it myself* I hope people realize this is a regular season award. Braun was better, even with his horeshit defense, than Tulowitzki.

I think Bannister had a real shot to steal the AL award if he didn't fade in September.

Draft saved Draft deleted