1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

brakes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Turns out I need the rear brakes.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i was just going to suggest that.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Another tip: Don't wait till you get to metal-on-metal before you replace the pads/shoes. Even if it's just for a little bit, it scratches the hell out of your rotor and you'll have to have it turned or replaced. A scratchy rotor will wear out the new pads many times faster and it won't smooth out.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Depending on the type of driving and the type of pads, pads wearing out in 18K miles is not unheard of. It's not typical and certainly not desirable, but it happens.

Not necessarily; it depends on the car. My past two cars have had sensors in the brake pads that illuminate a dash light when the pads are worn.

5. JD

JD Member

So....I'm driving home from a high school girls' hoops game tonight, and I start to ease my foot onto my brake pedal, as I creep up towards my turn....

Suddenly, the pedal hits the floor, and I can't stop. Luckily no one was in front of me....I got home in one piece.

In the last few weeks, I heard noises every time I hit my brakes....like air coming from them or something. It wasn't metal on metal, just an air-like sound. Then this happens....WTF?

Anyone got a clue?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if you open your hood, you'll probably find that your master cylinder (the little plasitc thingie that holds your break fluid) is out of juice. stop driving your car until you fix the problem.

7. JD

JD Member

Yeah....noted. Turns out its the wheel cylinder. I pumped my brakes this morning, and all the fluid drained out.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Just use the Fred Flintstone style of braking and you'll be fine.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

in never remember wilma or betty braking flintstone style.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I do. Wilma broke when she drove. It was rare, but she did it.

I'll go hunt.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you are a giver, my friend.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I guess I failed. I combed the Internet, looking for a photo or an episode reference to where Wilma Flintstone was behind the wheel. I saw a picture of Betty in the driver's seat with Wilma up front, but I think it was an artist's rendition. I did, however, learn that Wilma's maiden name was a bit controversial -- either Pebble or Slaghoople; her name was Wilma Pebble when she met Fred, but her mom's name was Mrs. Slaghoople. Her father was never referenced in the show -- not by name, at least.

I also found an extremely naughty picture of Fred and Betty. I'm not sure what they were doing, but they were naked and Betty was swearing. Probably because Fred had her pinned up against the cold, rocky wall. I can't imagine it was comfortable.

Draft saved Draft deleted