1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Braff out of "Fletch Won", "Scrubs" to ABC?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

From tvguide.com:

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

NBC is certainly stupid enough to let Scrubs go.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Maybe they'll finally get the Fletch Won casting right and hire Ryan Reynolds or Jason Lee...

4. Mizzougrad96

The ratings are bad, but it's a good show and it's on opposite Grey's Anatomy and CSI...

5. Mizzougrad96

I feel like I've been waiting 10 years for "Fletch Won"

Absolutely one of my favorite books ever... I was so optimistic when Kevin Smith signed on to direct. I thought Braff was a decent choice although, I would have gone with Reynolds or Lee, but it's a travesty this movie hasn't been made yet...

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Mizzou, good call on Lee or Reynolds. I never thought Braff had the snarkiness to pull off Fletch. Lee would be my top choice.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Speaking of Fletch, it was on AMC last night. So was Fletch II

8. Mizzougrad96

Those were the two choices Kevin Smith wanted to play him. He was shot down by the studio on both because neither was famous enough (this was pre "My Name is Earl") Apparently the studio actually suggested Will Smith...

9. The first Fletch worked so well because Gregory McDonald was involved with the script (McDonald wrote the Fletch novels). The second one sucked in large part because McDonald was not involved. I was excited when Kevin Smith announced Fletch Won because he was involving McDonald in the project. Not sure if that will be true of the new director (if not - its a big mistake).

BTW - Gregory McDonald comes from Shrewsbury, MA which was also the birthplace of Charlie Pierce. Not bad for a town of less than 32,000.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ugh ... I actually really like Will Smith, but he would have been wrong for that role (though, I might have said the same thing back when he was playing the Fresh Prince and he signed on to play a gay "Ivy League student" in 'Six Degrees of Separation.')

He might have pulled it off, but he doesn't strike me as the right casting choice.

11. Mizzougrad96

I think Will Smith is great...

But as Fletch? C'mon...

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Braff would be a natural for the voice-overs of Fletch. I don't know if he could pull off the manly vibe of Fletch, which Reynolds could in a snap.

Draft saved Draft deleted