1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brady vs. Manning, Colts-Patriots thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Nov 9, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Isn't Peyton Manning's girlfriend Kenny Chesney?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Since 1999, when Peyton Manning became good for the Colts, they have finished in the top five in points scored eight out of 10 times.

In that same time frame, the Steelers have finished outside the top 5 in points allowed five out of 10 times.

That said, you are right, the Steelers have had a great defense for a long time. But they've had to draft well on defense consistently to do it. The Colts more or less just needed to have Manning.

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

NO! It's Eli and Kenny.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Only using points without including yardage and turnovers seems overly simplistic to me. You're a stats guy, Rick. Use what there is at your disposal.

The Colts have done their fair share of good work building that offense around Manning. They went from Faulk to James to Addai at running back and from Harrison to Wayne at receiver, for example.

I'm not sure if I disagree with your theory or not. I will say that it is a hell of a lot easier to find quality defensive players than it is to find a quarterback like Manning.

5. RickStain

Historically, great defenses do tend to erode faster than great offenses. That much is empirical fact. How it applies to the Colts and Steelers is up for debate, I guess.

I'm definitely *not* a stats guy with regards to football. Well, in a few areas I am, but for the most part the sport does not lend itself to statistical analysis.

6. outofplace

It does if you take the time to look for them. You cannot judge a defense based only on points allowed. There are other factors that are beyond a defensive unit's control, such as turnovers by the offense, time of possession by the offense, special teams issues that impact field position. That is why things like yardage and turnovers forced must be factored in when evaluating a defense.

I am interested to see the data proving your "emperical fact." It is probably a tough study to do because there have been so many changes that have a huge impact on defense in the NFL, such as the drastic changes to open up the passing game in the late '70s and later the advent of free agency.

7. RickStain

It was a study by the Football Outsiders. I'll see if I can dig it up, but who knows.

If we're going to judge things like yardage, then we should point out that the Steelers have had some great running games and thus faced fewer plays. That's just one of dozens of variables that would affect any number we can come up with.

8. outofplace

Absolutely. And there have been years in which the defense was down a bit but the running game helped keep them off the field. Of course, last year was probably their best defense since the '70s and that was with arguably the worst running game they have had since before Franco Harris arrived.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

By the way, hope you don't mind a little crunchy mouse on your hot dog if you're at the game Sunday.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20091112/SPORTS03/911120530/Mice-found-in-Colts-stadium-kitchens

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Maybe you just shouldn't eat anything at Lucas Oil Stadium.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20091113/LOCAL/911130416/Lucas-Oil-Stadium-tops-in-food-violations

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'll take crunchy mouse over ketchup any day.

Draft saved Draft deleted