1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brady Quinn on Tim Tebow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Now you're arguing against your own earlier point.

A bystander is entitled to be resentful of public prayer if its sole purpose is missionary. If you're evangelizing strangers on the sidewalk with your "prayers;" if you're trying to convert the passerby, no thanks. I'm allowed to reject that.

Has nothing to do with "hate."

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's pretty funny about rag-arm Quinn walking his whining commentary back.

He's been deluded about his personal ability level for many years, and it's left him hung out, high and dry.

Time for a real job.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Differ, a fairly active Christian himself, had a pretty good take in that piece.

DILFER: I don't have a problem with what Tim Tebow's doing with [his outspoken Christianity]. I've seen him try to articulate why he has the belief and why he believes the things he does, in a very easy way to understand. He's not the guy, when the cameras are put in his face, saying, you know, "Praise to God, because he supernaturally let that ball hit my receiver!" You know what I mean? But he's up-front with it, and he makes many people uncomfortable. I do have a problem with what the Christian community is doing with his faith, that they are almost becoming a cult following. I think it's an "us" problem, not a "him" problem.

4. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Saw in the paper this morning where Quinn was Tweeting an apology for his comments about Tebow. Geeez fella, either you believe in what you say or you don't. And I would say that even if I liked Tebow.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I know lines like this are low hanging fruit when it comes to Christians athletes who wear it on their sleeves like Tebow, but Tim and others have explained about 1,000 times that thanking God in an interview is more about big picture stuff like joy, life and health and less about small picture stuff, like the tailback picking up a blitz and the tightend hanging on to the pass.

Don't let that get in the way of a good "What, does he think God cares about a football game?" quip, though.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It is a good perspective, though the reason he never said that might have something to do with the fact that he rarely let the ball hit the receiver.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And Tim Tebow answers Quinn:

"I had a teammate at Denver who played the same position as me and he went to the University of Notre Dame," Tebow told Florida backers at an event, via GatorZone.com. "He would brag about his university, how great it was. Most of us in the locker room were like, 'C'mon, we all had opportunities. We chose not to go there.' ... But he talked so much about his university that it became easy. I'd say, 'Your whole team had one guy who ran under a 5.0 40 (yard dash). Our kicker ran under 5.0.' "

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That's funny. I would love to watch Tebow talking trash.

9. And now the story is gone ..
    Per TBL ....

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, Gator Zone is UF's official site, so if a story was scrubbed for being controversial, it's a lot less surprising.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

No doubt the Tebow PR machine had the story pulled. I'm sure Saint Timmy didn't the comments on the NY media being wrong blowing up into a tabloid story.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's also highly possible that someone wrote the story for UF's site and then someone at UF took the story down as soon as people decided that some of the comments could be seen as controversial.

Draft saved Draft deleted