1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brad Stevens takes Celtics job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 3, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

what was his coaching record at Davidson?

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That's a poor comparison. Milbury only "took" the BC job after coaching the Bruins and then serving as assistant GM.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The last thing the Celtics want to do is make the playoffs. That lineup is awful.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Few is about as close as it gets. Right up there with Coach K and Roy Williams. He hasn't had a losing season since he got there and I can't recall if he's even missed the NCAA Tournament one year. It's Gonzaga, not UCLA.

I suppose it's humanly possible that they go 5-20 for five straight years, but I'm not holding my breath. He'll leave on his own terms, just like Stevens did at Butler.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I think it's fair to say the Celtics are entering a rebuilding phase. Every team goes through them (yes, San Antonio, your turn is coming up pretty soon, too). How long it will be? Who knows? That depends on drafting, signings, luck, lots of things.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Coach K, Williams and maybe Boeheim are the only three I can see leaving on their terms.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Maybe at BCS conference schools. Plenty of small college coaches --- like the guy at Mount St. Mary's a few years ago --- that have a lot of tenure and the schools don't have insane expectations. So some of those guys I would expect are pretty safe if they don't wind up in some sort of scandal.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Good move for Stevens -- both for the NBA and for his long-term future.

I've always been an advocate for the "hot coach" to jump to a larger school or, in this case, the NBA -- provided it's with a solid organization.

This also keeps Stevens from having to leave Butler for, say, Duke or North Carolina. Duke and UNC don't need to get their hands dirty by lifting another school's coach. Now he gets to coach the Celtics for 2 or 3 years, get fired, go to a blue-chip college program, tell recruits he "has NBA experience" and it's all good.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep -- whenever he parts ways from the Celtics, he's likely to have several plum college jobs to choose from. And be young enough, with enough money in his pocket, if he wanted to sit out a season or so until one he really wants comes open, he could do that too.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wojnarowski takes a hammer to Pitino and Calipari as he calls Stevens the new breed of NBA coach who has the tools to succeed because he's a patient and wholesome family man who loves his advanced stats.

http://yhoo.it/11lfC55

Not sure repeating the same graf (with Rockwell reference) really helps the ending.

And it seems as though writer could have given Rivers a little more love. He was only the first C's coach to lead them to a championship in 21 years.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If you are going to tank to get a player, he better be the next LeBron James. Too much uncertainty with a lot of these high draft picks.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So he suspects Stevens a better coach than either Pitino or Calipari? Look, I'm no fan of either of those guys and believe they cheat as much as they can get away with and then some. But there was nothing about their collegiate coaching tenures --- either before or after the NBA --- that hinted they weren't good coaches.

It just seems like the NBA is a different animal. It's a bold move by the Celtics and we'll all see how it pans out. But I'd wait 3-4 years to make that determination.

Draft saved Draft deleted