1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brad Stevens takes Celtics job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 3, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Seriously.

Even if Butler was as idyllic as it looks from the outside -- a notion that's always dubious -- we're talking about the kind of thing that he would have dreamed about as a kid.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Butler seems pretty idyllic.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Of course he HAS to do it just because it's there. That being said, I don't think it ends up well for him. He'll be in line with Pitino and Calipari. Of course, the Celtics aren't the Magic, but I always felt Dononan made the right call ... after he didn't.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah but I think very few coaches are really as happy as we all think they should be based on those circumstances. Mark Few has made it work and there are your Coach K and Izzo types at the really big schools. But coaches are an ambitious group. Is Brad Stevens, who took the job when he was 31, really going to spend 35 or 40 years in one place?

5. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Boston's rotation next season will include a good point guard (Rondo), a good defensive guard (Bradley), two scoring options (Green and Wallace) and a couple of intriguing prospects (Sullinger and Olynyk).

And last time that I checked, the Celtics also play in the East. The East's No. 8 seed was a Milwaukee team that is being completely gutted. The East's non-playoff teams from this past season: Philadelphia, Toronto, Detroit, Cleveland, Washington, Charlotte and Orlando. Maybe Washington steps up, but if you're saying that Boston is worse off than Milwaukee and those other teams? Ha.

Now if Rondo gets traded...

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And just had his July 4 holiday wrecked.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course, Stevens has no chance to succeed -- none whatsoever.

The last NBA coach to move to the NBA and be relatively successful was John MacLeod in the mid-1970s. Since then all others have bombed.

Stevens is working under even more of a handicap than most college coaches making the jump because, 1) he is coming from what is still considered by NBA people (mainly players) to be a mid-major, and 2) he plays a ball-control defensive style. Multi-millionaire players are not going to want to hear a kid only a couple years older than them, fresh from coaching the Hickory Huskers, tell them they have to hold the ball even LONGER on each possession.

He'll be back in college by November 2017.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Do you honestly think that's the starting lineup of an NBA PLAYOFF team? Seriously? I see a load of crap to rivaled only by what teams like the Bobcats, Pistons and Hornets have been trotting out in recent years. Especially considering that the only really good player in that group, Rondo, is a bit of temperamental head case who just had ACL knee reconstruction and it's highly unknown when (or if) he'll be back to his prior form, you know the track record of players the first season coming off ACL surgery ain't exactly encouraging (for example, see Derrick Rose).

You're overprojecting them based on how they've done in recent years. Their roster this season sucks balls. They're going to drop and drop HARD without Garnett and Pierce.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My source who is pretty plugged in at Butler says they will probably promote assistant Brandon Miller.

10. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Once again, look at the East. If you think that Boston can't make the playoffs out of that garbage... then I would love to join whatever fantasy leagues that you are in.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The East's 8th seed this year was Milwaukee. For this season, I would take Milwaukee's playing rotation over the group you mentioned in a heartbeat (especially taking into account Rondo's knee). Without question. I don't care how weak the East is, the Celts do not have a playoff calibur roster. If Stevens gets them to the playffs, then he will have done one remarkable job.

Now I hope we can be done with that threadjack.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Rivers could not control Rondo. I don't see how Stevens will.

Draft saved Draft deleted