1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brad Pitt bravely confronts the scourge of prosopagnosia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, May 27, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Like his wife, the actor has publicly confronted his angst about this hideous disease in hopes of removing the stigma on behalf of others. Prosopagnosia is the clinical term for "face blindness," which renders the victim tragically unable to recognize people he has met before. This illness manifests itself by making the victim appear to be a self-absorbed egomaniac who has no concern for the little people.

"So many people hate me because they think I'm disrespecting them," Pitt tells Esquire for its June/July issue, to hit the newsstands on May 31. "I took one year where I just say, this year, I'm just going to cop to it and say to people, 'OK, where did we meet?' But it just got worse.

"People were more offended. … You get this thing, like, 'You're being egotistical. You're being conceited.' But it's a mystery to me, man. I can't grasp a face, and yet I come from such a design/aesthetic point of view. I am going to get it tested."

It is believed that the cure for prosopagnosia is to consort only with large-breasted women and movie producers waving eight-figure checks.

I hope he can heal and find happiness. It's going to be a long road.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/brad-pitt-face-blindness-some-people-hate-me-for-seeming-disrespectful-egotistic-96664/

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh, so he slept with Angelina Jolie because he thought she was Jennifer Anniston thanks to this disorder. Makes sense now.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This has to be an Arrested Development-based stunt, right? Next up, Michael Douglas announces he's a never-nude.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I was thinking this was from The Onion.

5. Donnie in his element

Donnie in his element Well-Known Member

This is actually a pretty interesting topic that I've seen a few places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia

60 minutes had a two-part series last year on it: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=dxqsBk7Wn-Y&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DdxqsBk7Wn-Y

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know what it is. Just think it's funny that Brad Pitt is coming out with this revelation so close to the release of his next movie. What a coincidence...

7. Donnie in his element

Donnie in his element Well-Known Member

When you're a prolific actor, every disclosure could be construed as such.

When you're a prolific actor, chances are you're also a tremendous egotist.

For now, I'll grant the benefit of the doubt. Wonder what Anniston or Paltrow thinks about this diagnosis.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But he can still pick out a periwinkle blue caravan...

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

But who does he see in the mirror?

Anyway, it's nice that Pitt can face his problem head-on.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Pitt to mirror: "I told you yesterday: Get the fuck out of my house."

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I always thought it was Ed Norton who didn't recognize himself.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It must have been tough for Pitt to film the Oceans Trilogy with all those nobodies...

This is a combination of Pitt's own narcissism combined with people who thought meeting Pitt would be just as memorable for him, as it was for them...

"Brad, don't you remember me? I was the assistant grip on Troy and I brought you your lunch every day for six weeks. How do you not remember me?"

Draft saved Draft deleted