1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brad Gilbert, STFU ... A US Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Sep 1, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Watching the US Open on the deuce and fucking Brad Gilbert is freaking killing me.

Good god why can't some producer tell him "shut the fuck up, you're ruining the telecast."

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Was there yesterday, standing behind Brad with the other SportsCenter-obsessed dweebs, trying to get on camera. I did not, however, wave and yell like the producers demanded. I have some dignity. He's definitely a weak link compared to McEnroe and Carillo.

By the way, it was unbearable there yesterday with the heat. I see some player on the women's side collapsed today. Did see some good matches, including Baghdatis being upset in five sets.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Venus Williams with a nice compliment for Vancouver's Rebecca Marino: "I now know what it's like to play myself."

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, Marino played very well, especially in the first set.

Too bad about Azarenka.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And down goes the punk-ass Roddick. Enjoy the ride back to Austin.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

No shit. I've said in the past about him: until he wins consistently and stop delivering epic chokes like this, he doesn't deserve to be considered as one of the best.

He's one of the "almost, but not close enough" best.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

His berating of the lineswoman -- who was correct on her call -- just solidified my dislike for the guy. Ultimate underachiever.

8. Quakes

Quakes Guest

I disliked Roddick when he was young and new on the scene, but I'd actually gained a lot of respect for him over the last couple of years. I lost it all tonight. What an ass he was.

Adding to the disappointment was the chair umpire's handling of the situation. As far as I could tell, he never gave Roddick a warning, or told him to just shut up, get over it, and move on. He seemed to agree with Roddick -- as if the mere thought of Roddick foot-faulting was inconceivable. And I think he got the lineswoman removed. Why not stick up for the woman, or at least tell Roddick to lay off of her?

And McEnroe was typical McEnroe, of course. He failed to criticize Roddick for his behavior, even though it was obvious that he did, in fact, foot fault, and was thus unnecessarily and incorrectly harassing the lineswoman. (I didn't hear him say anything, at least.)

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm always happy when Roddick chokes or makes an ass of himself, but Tipsy simply outplayed him tonight. His shotmaking was spectacular. Roddick has never had a plan B, and he certainly didn't tonight.

As for Brad Gilbert, I'd almost rather listen to Venus or Sharapova shriek on every shot than listen to Brad say anything. Almost.

As I've said on here before, I hated Brad when he was at Pepperdine, when he was a pro and I loathe him just as much now. Just like I refuse to watch Venus and Sharapova play because I can't stand to listen to them, the same goes for any match that has Brad doing color in the booth.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

We should all thank Roger Federer for putting that punk Roddick in his place so many times. Just think, if Roddick had several Grand Slam titles instead of one he'd be even more obnoxious.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Roddick wouldn't have several Grand Slam titles even if there was no Federer.
    He'd have found ways to lose to somebody else. He's an overrated choke artist.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

The entirew ESPN US Open crew skewered Roddick for his style of play, his arrogtan behavior and his berating of the lineswoman.
    The USTA, however, has seen fit not to fine him

Draft saved Draft deleted