1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

brackets and parenthesis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ScribePharisee, Oct 8, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The example given should definitely have been paraphrased, not used as an actual quote.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I've have done it like this:
    "Coach (John) Taylor gave him the go-ahead to punt [on the final drive]," Williams said.

I don't know why, really, but I thought parens were for add what was, for lack of a better phrase, left out. Brackets I've used to for my own words to clarify something.
    Maybe it's the same thing.

3. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

So does anyone know of newspapers that use parenthesis exclusively.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Kind of limiting, to be honest. Going to cost you some quotes, and doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't work at a newspaper anymore, and we do stick with parentheses, and the reason is mildly interesting. Back in the our early days of the 'Net and HTML, our stone knives-and-bearskins production tool read some kinds of code inside brackets as opposed to < and > ... so not only didn't we use them, but if we did, we could severely blow up the system, as in all the way up to take the site down.

So we've always used parentheses inside and outside of quotes, and even though that technological barrier doesn't exist anymore, it's just kind of grandfathered in, and that's the way we still do it. I keep having a mind to change it, and then never bother.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

"You're a (douche who thinks he is a) cool guy," the player said to his coach.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I wish we did.

The more meaningless rules you have, the harder it is to be consistent.

I wish all numbers were numerals, too. Higher than 9. 9 or lower. Everything.

I've never seen a reason why we have to say, "The 9-year-old boy made a hole-in-one with an 8-iron, making him a three-time winner this year."

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Similar to the markup code used on message boards like this one, no? In my younger and lazier days, I used brackets instead of parentheses in my personal correspondence simply because it saved me a trip to the SHIFT key, but BBS software cured me of that nasty habit.

I'm mildly surprised no one has cited AP style:

brackets [ ] They cannot be transmitted over news wires. Use parentheses or recast the material.

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I was never taught in J-school or in the real world to ever use brackets.

I can't even recall ever seeing them in a newspaper I read. Then again, maybe I'm not paying enough attention. If I see any in the next month I'll post on this thread again.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Does the paper come with a key for the readers?

That said, the fewer brackets or parentheses in quotes the better. I'd say more than half the time something is added to a quote to help explain it, it's completely unnecessary or could have been less awkward paraphrased.

Writers clutch on to crappy quotes like they are gold for some reason.

10. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Does the paper come with a key for the readers?
    [/quote]
    Right, I ask myself this same question every time I use a bracket or parenthesis. I guess for what it's worth, that's the consistent style we use. I think sometimes it's obvious that we're changing what someone says or adding our own words. Whether or not readers "get it" we just try to be consistent.

Draft saved Draft deleted