1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bracketology on crack

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery_Meat, Feb 1, 2007.

1. JackS

JackS Member

By the way, buddy, you can change your logo from ODU to VCU, but you can't escape the Mighty Hofstra Juggernaut.

2. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

Maybe this is just the mid-major fan in me, but just out of curiosity.

I realize Oral Roberts comes from a nothing conference and had one or two bad losses (Loyola Marymount for example).

But considering they beat a likely No. 1 (Kansas) on the road and nearly beat BYU at BYU, shouldn't they be a 12 instead of the 14 or 15 that most are projecting? Especially because they're likely to end up with 25 wins if they run the table in their awful conference (very likely).

Maybe they'll rise if they beat Utah State in the bracket buster.

3. How in god's name is BC still a 6 in Lunardi's brackets?
    They're lucky to make the 64, I think.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Why is the A-10 not getting any love? Haven't seen George Washington, but Xavier and UMass have looked decent, though I'm a little puzzled by the Minutemen's loss to URI. Their inside game is pretty tough.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Some conferences, no matter how well their champ performs, will never get a team above a 13. Oral Roberts could go 28-2 and be a 13.

And Lunardi is insufferably smug, with a terrible toupee to boot. He's also St. Joe's color man, which screams conflict of interest. Did you enjoy watching your guys lose at home in the NIT last year, Joe? Muahahhahaa.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If they do it consistently, eventually it could lead to a better seed. Even though they have no spectacular wins (I think their best was against Old Dominion), this may be the year Winthrop gets a 12, which is like to the Big South and Southlands of the world what a 1 would be at a major or 4-5 for a weak major/strong mid-major.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hope you're right, MM, but I think, unless one of these champs goes 31-0, the dickheads at the committee will slot them in 13 thru 16. Drexel and Vermont each won three straight A-East crowns and never got higher than a 13. The year Vermont finally loses, Albany gets a 16 and served up to UConn (who, of course, they nearly beat).

It's the easiest thing for the dickheads to do: Slot 16 mid-major champs in the final spots.

I bet the following champs all end up 13 thru 16:

America East
    Atlantic Sun
    Big Sky
    Big South
    Big West
    Ivy League
    MAAC
    Mid-Continent
    MEAC
    Northeast
    Ohio Valley
    Patriot
    Southern
    Southland
    SWAC
    Sun Belt

8. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

I don't doubt that most of the time the champs of those leagues belong 13 through 16. But on a rare occasion, those leagues will get a team that's good enough to be a 12 or so. There have been a couple of Big Sky teams that have broken through (I think Montana was a 12 last year, am I wrong?) but for the most part those conferences get pounded. I think Oral Roberts is definitely better than any team in the Big Sky this year, that's for sure.

Strangely, despite a better record Oral Roberts actually isn't as good this year as they were last year (minus the win over Kansas) and somehow they had a 16th seed and had to play Memphis. So I guess they'll be happy with a 13 or 14.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not sure where Montana was last year (paging Sportschick, Sportschick to this thread please). I thought they were a 13. Once in a while, a mid-major from one of the lower conferences will get a 12 or higher.

But if Oral Roberts wins it again, they'll have to be content with a 15 or 14. I doubt they go from 16 to 13 in one year.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

For someone who keeps track of all that crap, that link is greatly appreciated.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Hofstra can't escape the mighty Delaware juggernaut.

And BYH, Montana was a 12 seed last year. Weber State got a 12 several years back out of the Big Sky.

12. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

It's moot now anyway, as Oral Roberts laid an egg tonight against Valparaiso.

Valpo's a tough place to win, but there's no reason they should have beaten ORU.

Draft saved Draft deleted