1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BP - Absolute Worst Public Relations Savvy in History of Human Enterprise

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Jun 19, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And that's all I was trying to say.

I don't begrudge Obama for playing golf. I don't expect him to physically plug the hole. And I know he's never off the clock.

But Rahm should have held off so that Obama doesn't come under the same scrutiny as Hayward.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The president isn't under the same scrutiny as the BP CEO, except by a bunch of politically-motivated morons grasping at straws. There is legit criticism and then there is this.

The president isn't the CEO of a company that has caused the biggest environmental disaster in history, made a bunch of clueless and tone deaf remarks since and was out yachting in public with his Rolls Royce baseball cap, while his oil well polluted another body of water across the ocean.

The president has nothing to do with that CEO.

And Armchair, that is a ridiculous standard. Obama isn't snoozing on the job, by any account. He was out playing golf for a few hours. He's human. The only reason not to play golf ever is for some perception reason. There is no perception issue for him, as hard as this strained attempt to create one, is. It's not HIS oil well. Using your standard, until he has solved every perceived problem in the world he should be sitting chained to a desk 24/7.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Umm... I never fucking said he was snoozing on the job. There's nothing wrong with playing golf.

As I fucking pointed out at the top, it's not like he's on vacation because no president is ever on vacation.

But if you're going to do it in the middle of a situation where you have repeatedly said you are "in charge" it's a poor PR move to send your pet attack thug out to rip the CEO for not doing his job. If his lackeys had half a brain they would have advised him to keep Rahm chained up down in the basement for a few more days.

That hole is stil going to be spewing oil next week he could have attacked the CEO next weekend.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Armchair is absolutely right. Nothing wrong with Obama playing golf. Just bad PR.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I must have misunderstood, Armchair. I took a post in which the first paragraph said "the president is NEVER on vacation," your emphasis on never, followed by a paragraph saying that this was a PR blunder because Rahm Emmanuel (who really no one gives a shit about) was on Sunday morning TV taking shots at the world's easiest target (the BP CEO) while Obama played golf. ... to mean you were criticizing Obama for being on vacation and playing golf, because he needs to be working harder dammit! What exactly was the purpose of the first paragraph connected to what you just said was the point just now when you clarified? In your zeal to find some sort of criticism did you mix up the points in your mind?

Draft saved Draft deleted