1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BP - Absolute Worst Public Relations Savvy in History of Human Enterprise

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Jun 19, 2010.

1. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

I agree with you that Rahm should have kept his mouth shut. Obama playing a round of golf shouldn't be that big a deal, but the optics of it are bad and it wasn't a good PR move.

Chris Matthews seems to think Obama should be yelling and screaming on the stump like Teddy Roosevelt. Obama ain't that kind; never has been, never will be. It would look fake if he tried it.

Oh, and to Highlander's point: no one blames GWB for the actual Hurricane...he takes blame, at least from me, for the aftermath.

Obama has made some mistakes with this disaster--no doubt about that-- but he didn't need to see starving and dying people on CNN to be informed of the situation.

2. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Sorry, I saw Chris Wallace and thought of Matthews.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

mustang, we're "lucky" who hasn't quit yet?

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

WTF do you think Hayward's role is in this? And how are we "lucky" he doesn't quit? He's not some hero that came into this to try to help us, he's involved because he's running the company that CAUSED it. Are you under the impression that BP could walk away from this if they wanted to? They don't have the option to "quit."

You act like Obama, Congress and BP share equal culpability over this. Uh, no,only one of those caused this disaster through their negligence and greedy corner cutting.

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

It's Drudge, YF. Nobody cares. When Drudge falls out of bed, it's Obama's fault. Anybody who's paying attention knows his agenda. But thanks for playing the false equivalency game. Pick up your lovely parting gifts on the way out. :)

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You mean the Fox News Chris Wallace? Shocking that he'd have that take. And, no, it is not the same thing, because there is that pesky little matter of fault. Neither Obama nor anyone under his charge caused this disaster, the same can't be said for Hayward.

The boss of the company at fault jetting off for the frickin yacht races right now strikes me as quite a bit more calloused, and insanely stupid PR-wise, than Obama taking in a round of golf.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's not a game of false equivalency.

Point of Order pointed out that it was a terrible PR hit for BP to have Hayward seen at a yacht race while the oil continues to spill.

I asked a couple of questions in response and instead of getting them answered, people acted like I accused Obama of kidnapping murder.

Does no one here have the intellectual honesty to answer a few simple questions?

Here they are again:

1.) What is the standard & who does it apply to?

2.) Was it a good PR move for Rahm to criticize Hayward?

3.) Was it a good PR move for Obama to attend the Nats game and play a round of golf?

I'll hang up and listed to the answer off the air.

9. YankeeFan

Wallace had a long career at both ABC & NBC before joining FoxNews. He's no right wing fire breather.

It's a natural question to ask -- specifically because of Rahm's criticism of Hayward.

Fault may play a role, but it's not the only thing involved.

If Obama had attended a yacht race or gone windsurfing (or had his picture taken playing golf) he'd be in for greater criticism.

Hayward & BP are to blame and will fall under greater scrutiny. And between Hayward & Obama, only one of them flew across the pond to participate in a yacht race, but you're not dealing in reality if you think Obama's immune from criticism and will continue to face scrutiny for his leisure activities and his light events (the celebrity/team type of things).

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

11. YankeeFan

For a guy who loves to argue, it's really telling that you refuse to answer a couple of simple questions.

You set yourself up as the arbiter of bad PR when you started the thread.

Do you have any experience dealing with PR issues? I do -- including political situations.

Obama hasn't had a good PR week. His speech was trashed and Rahm broke a cardinal rule when he piled on Hayward.

Playing a round of golf (and not letting the press take his picture) didn't help.

Do you really have no opinion about Rahm's statement or Obama's round of golf?

Do you not possess the intellectual honesty to answer?

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The standard is fucking common sense, and it applies to everyone. I'm not sure what other answer you're fishing for here.

If you're the boss of a company that just caused the worst environmental disaster the history of this hemisphere, a disaster that is STILL ongoing with tons of oil continuing to spew around the clock, then it's probably not a good time for the millions of people suffering from their destroyed coastline to have to see you jetting off to enjoy the yacht races on your country's pristine unpolluted coastlines. Basic common sense.

And, no, it is not the same thing as Obama playing a round of golf. If you can't see the difference, that's your problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted