1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BP - Absolute Worst Public Relations Savvy in History of Human Enterprise

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Do you understand the meaning of "cause"?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So what?

Lot's of things happen on a President's watch that they have to deal with -- even though they didn't cause it.

He said he's responsible for getting the leak stopped, not me.

He said he's focused on it 24 hours a day.

So, can you just please comment on the PR savvy of the Obama administration that criticizes Hayward at the same time Obama is out at ball games and playing rounds of golf?

3. Point of Order

Have you seen the story about the missing boy in Oregon?

Do you see an equivalence between whoever kidnapped (and possibly killed) the boy and the person in charge of finding the boy?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One big difference is that golf courses aren't being ruined by oil leaks. The Gulf is. Hayward is doing something that many people cannot do now thanks to his company's fuck-up.

Had Hayward played a round of golf, the criticism wouldn't be quite as harsh. Had Obama went sailing, he would be getting ripped twice as hard.

5. YankeeFan

Now you're juts being silly.

I thought this was a thread about the PR savvy of the folks responsible for cleaning up the mess in the Gulf.

You started it. Isn't that what it's about?

I didn't think it was about moral equivalency or that your PR savvy could only be brought into question if you were responsible for the spill.

In your Oregon example, I'll bet the Police Chief would get criticized if he participated in a yacht race or went golfing, even though he isn't responsible for the crime.

It wouldn't make him a killer, but it would be stupid and not savvy PR.

6. YankeeFan

I think that's true, but if he didn't think it was a big deal, why didn't he allow the press pool to take his picture?

I wonder if the press will object to this. I bet they will.

7. highlander

highlander Member

George Bush ddn't cause Hurricane Katrina. But he sure gets all the blame for that.

8. highlander

highlander Member

Which will happen first, the leak getting fixed or Obama meeting with the Lakers?

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I don't think anyone of us has the right to judge the guy for going wherever he goes. He's not going to physically fix the leak. We're lucky he hasn't quit yet.

Where's Obama? At the ball game with his family? Where's Congress to do something.

That's just my 2 cents.

10. Point of Order

The willful ignorance on this thread amazes me.

11. YankeeFan

Look in a mirror.

I don't think anyone has disputed that it was a bad PR move for Hayward to attend/participate in a yacht race.

My main point is that it was dumb of Rahm Emanuel to criticize him. Hayward was going to get hammered either way, but when Rahm decides to pile on, it opens his boss to similar scrutiny and accusations of hypocrisy when he goes to a game, plays golf, or hosts the UConn women's basketball team at the White House.

BP and Tony Hayward were guilty of bad PR. The White House is guilty of bad PR.

I had to go out and do a job, so I'm watching the Sunday morning shows on DVR now. Chris Wallace just made the very point that I did -- that Obama is just as guilty by playing golf.

And it's not like this criticism is new. Watch that Jon Stewart clip I posted earlier.

He has to be very careful.

Rahm would have been much better off by just saying that he wasn't going to question Hayward's decision.

12. YankeeFan

Drudge Headline:

BP CEO GOES SAILING
    OBAMA GOES GOLFING

Not great PR for the White House.

Draft saved Draft deleted