1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boys playing on girls field hockey teams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 24, 2020.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

In fact, here's the team Scout mentioned. They won the Massachusetts state title.

Somerset Berkley caps perfect season with another Div. 1 field hockey title - The Boston Globe

A boy scored the opening goal in the championship, but only because his sister made a play to get him in position for the shot. The game was still in doubt when two of his female teammates scored second half goals.

Both the Globe story and this story mention repeated abuse from fans and opposing players.

The Herald News, Fall River, MA

Stories from the championship also noted that the losing team controlled possession much of the game. Maybe if the coach and players spent less time griping about the circumstances they could have found a way to win.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that...

Dominant male player is coach’s son.

Other team controlling play might actually say the other team was better if they didn’t have a boy.

I’m surprised for how good he is at field hockey he isn’t going to play for the women’s team at Providence.

The team that the loaded team plaid in the semi and the team they beat in the final should play their own state title game.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Wait until a football All-State linebacker is the boyfriend of a girls field hockey player getting smashed around by boys on the opposing team.

Mr. All-Stater joins the team, bulldozes the boy twelve rows deep into the bleachers, then "retires" from field hockey. "State association gonna suspend me? Boo hoo."

4. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

The losing team, Longmeadow, has claimed the west title every year since 2011.

Is their dominance of their peers also unfair?

Honestly, the more I read about this particular situation, the more I'm convinced that some rich white folks are upset that they're no longer the best in the state. After years of dominating opponents, they're whining and stomping their feat about fairness because someone else won.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Rich people are always pissed off when they are not number one anymore. Even though they’re rich and pissed off, it doesn’t make them wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted