1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boys playing on girls field hockey teams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 24, 2020.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

if you need the answer because you can’t figure it out for yourself, you will not be able to understand it when explained. If it’s not self evident, it’s beyond your ability to comprehend.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You think I and others hate you. No one here hates you, as far as I know.

I just think it's lazy for you to try and get others to make your arguments for you. It's the obvious reason you post stuff from Hat Guy. You're either in an ongoing Facebook argument with him or with others about him and you can't come up with your own ammunition.

If you can't come up with your own opinions, why bother at all? Just ignore him/them.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

This issue is like a short-interval cicada, emerging every two or three years before burrowing into the ground.

4. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

This is the answer someone gives when they know they're going to come off sexist/racist. Good to know.

By the way, this issue is cousin to the challenges transgender athletes face. People are so worked up about supposed fairness and safety that they refuse to acknowledge that denying someone the chance to play a sport they enjoy is also unfair. If you think a teenage boy or girl is going to go through surgery, hormone therapy, and all kinds of physical and emotional treatment just to bully the opposite sex on the soccer field, you're insane.

Boys who want to play field hockey aren't pushing a political statement. They just want to play a sport they think they might enjoy. Girls who want to wrestle competitively aren't all tomboys or secretly lesbians. They enjoy the sport and the only way for them to compete at the high school level is to join a boys program.

Let the kids play whatever sport they want to play. That's how you establish fairness and equality.

5. heyabbott

For boys the few boys who want to play field hockey and ruin the sport for girls, the answer is no. Find another outlet. This is a girls team sport and boys are too physically superior, on average, to keep the field of play level. Girls who want to play boys sports are the same as 11 year old boys who play up on 13 year old teams. But you don’t let 13 year olds who can’t make the 13 year old team play on the 11 year old team.

6. SoloFlyer

I would imagine that the guys on the US Men's National Olympic field hockey team would be quite surprised to learn that they've ruined an entire sport for girls

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That seems to be happening with volleyball, at least in California, where schools - outside coastal areas, even- are adding boys volleyball as a spring sport. CIF also started an official girls wrestling tournament a few years back separate from the boys, but last year conducted it concurrently with the boys tourney in Bakersfield.

I also recall a few years ago, before the CIF threw in the towel on transfers, a softball player in SoCal had to sit out a year in order to switch schools. So the baseball coach added her to his roster to pinch hit.

8. SoloFlyer

All of that happened, and somehow the world is still standing.

Empathy and reason prevailed and provided better opportunities for everyone involved.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. heyabbott

How many played on the girls HS teams?
    And i should have been definitive. An influx of even a minority of boys to girls HS FH teams would ruin girls HS FH

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And as anyone who has covered high school sports here will agree, from the CIF, of all groups

11. SoloFlyer

No idea of the number. A quick perusal of their bios (https://www.teamusa.org/usa-field-hockey/usmnt/us-mens-national-team) points to most of them growing up in an area of California in which there are club programs for boys to join and pursue the sport. Several others picked the sport up overseas.

But after doing a quick Google search of the non-Californians, there's at least one who did play for the high school girls team. In fact, his state refused to let him play in the postseason. His sister introduced him to the sport and also starred on the team.

Central Bucks West siblings on field hockey team, but brother can't play in games

He also played soccer and chose to stick with field hockey because he enjoyed it more. He and his sister forged a bond over it. But clearly he was there just to be a bully, right?

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Not that it matters (though it does matter to you, apparently) but this is the only place I am having this discussion. I'm not having it with Straw Hat Man (though I could have brought up something he said about something Laura Ingraham said about the subject, but if I did, I would have cut out the middle man and just cited Ingraham, whom I presume meets the threshold of significance) or anyone else on social media.

I'm just trying to see why girls playing football or wrestling is a good thing (which it is) and why boys playing field hockey is not. The competitive advantage thing seems to be the only argument and it seems kind of self-serving.

If the moderators tell me to stop doing something I'll stop. If you don't like my posts, too bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted