1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boys playing field hockey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 5, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

While I see Cadet's point, I think there is a legitimate safety concern here. Someone could be seriously hurt if one of these guys winds back and lets it go at full force.

BYH, the reason why there's a penalty if the stick goes above the head or the ball goes too far off the ground is for the reason I just mentioned, that someone could get seriously hurt by a shot flying at 30 mph and smacking a kid in the throat.

(I'm not a huge field hockey fan, but the matches end in an hour, and the coaches generally are accommodating, because they know we all know jack about the sport. There are far worse things to cover. Cough, high school softball/baseball, cough.)

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

High school baseball. Shudder. You could be there 90 minutes or four hours.

Would it kill them to throw a strike?

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I can't for the life of me see any legitimate reason to have boys playing field hockey against girls -- just like I am vehemently opposed to girls wrestling against boys.

And if you are a boy -- what the hell do you get out of playing field hockey against girls? Go play deck hockey or something.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

"There were rumors, he was into field hockey players. There were rumors..."

5. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Kind of glad I don't know what field hockey is.

Down here, at least, you can find some pretty strong high school baseball games, so that's not so bad. Generally, the girls basketball down here is bad enough to make grown men cry.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

End of thread.

[​IMG]

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"All that rugby puts hairs on your chest." — Paul Weller

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The risk of injury can't be any greater than in Real Hockey, and boys and girls both play that, albeit in different leagues.

For what it's worth.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

About 10 years ago there was a boy playing field hockey at a school in the Suburban One League (just outside of Philadelphia) and I don't recall the other coaches making that big a deal about it.

There are some girls who can hit the ball pretty damn hard in field hockey. There's one girl at a school in my area who plays field hockey and softball. She's a power hitter in softball and a couple of writers who have covered her in field hockey say she uses a softball-like swing for her shots and the other team isn't prepared for how hard and fast the ball comes off the stick.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Can't have it both ways.

If girls are allowed to play football or wrestle on the boys' team you can't prevent the boys from playing field hockey with the girls.

With that said it's the height of stupidity to allow girls on a football team or boys on a girls' field hockey team.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

It always makes me nervous to hear about boys playing field hockey. I'm the only one who covers the sport at my paper, so I know all too well how easy it is for injuries to happen.

Howevery, if girls can play boys sports, boys can play girls sports. Period.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Are there any boys playing volleyball for girls teams? I know in some states, they have boys volleyball but most don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted