1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boys and Girls, The Future of Newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fishwrapper, Dec 14, 2007.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

And therein lies one of the big problems.

A small newspaper would have an agile enough organization -- fewer layers of bureaucracy, theoretically some younger talent, and just enough money -- to take the lead on the latest content delivery methods.

But instead, they make excuses and lay off a few more people, and a huge opportunity is missed.

Waiting for NYT or the Washington Post to take the lead with new technology is a little silly. So much internal inertia at a place like that, and a lot of institutional resistance to new ideas.

I would love -- LOVE -- to be the editor of a 50K-70K newspaper right now. So many ideas out there, just waiting for someone to have the balls (and keep enough people around) to put it into action.

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I agree with you, file. At a smaller paper, you could reverse fortunes pretty quickly. Bigger papers aren't capable of turning on a dime.

3. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

Ever get a big PDF file and feel the need to print it all out even though it will kill 12 trees?

I think that's why newspapers will be around for a long time.

You need to be able to feel and process where you are in the text, to feel how much more there is to read and to be able to stop and start easily. Plus paper is easier on the eyes than a glazed computer screen.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I think you guys are onto it.
    Being agile. Being able to serve the reader with boots on the ground.
    Being able to deliver that agility to the reader with immediacy. As rudiment as a text message. Then in the paper -- or whatever that final product may be -- with thoroughness and perspective. That's the service that the local reader will expect in the future. And that will be the local newspapers niche.
    But, it will take some investment.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

For you, someone who grew up reading a paper.
    Not for a generation that's growing up without a newspaper in a home. Nuture.

6. statrat

statrat Member

The response I always seem to hear from executives: "Newspapers will always be relevant because you will never be able to take a computer to the toilet with you." Well, uh, now you pretty much can.

7. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

I take my laptop to the crapper all the time, it's just that I don't read the "newspaper" on it when I'm in there.

8. bp6316

bp6316 Member

I rented one of these on a recent cross-country flight and it was great because I could read a book on it a lot easier than I would have been able to read an actual book. The readability is quite nice. Plus, I was able to take a few notes and such on it when I needed to.

That being said, I won't be buying one. But I could see how a frequent flier would get a lot of benefit of having many books etc. at your fingertips. Good benefit there.

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Nothing paisley wouldn't solve, especially the holiday pattern one at this time of year...

Draft saved Draft deleted