1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boys and Girls, The Future of Newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fishwrapper, Dec 14, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Exactly. The problem, of course, is that newspaper companies have to invest in the product in order to provide that content to enter-futuristic-utilitarian-PDA-device here.

And they need to do it quick, because as a consumer, I can already get unique content from the LAT, NYT, WaPo, etc. If the Gannetts and McClatchys and other chains that own newspapers don't catch up, then keep up ... :-\

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That, my friend, is the riddle wrapped in the conundrum inside the enigma.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Rover just took a dump on it. I'm not sure that means he likes it or doesn't.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I only read what can be folded into a hat.

[​IMG]

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Dunno, but it looks like it'll fit nicely into the bottom of a bird cage ...

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Perhaps, this will help.
    I have this feed on the BlackBerry.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hey, I heard Belo has this awesome invention. You can scan a bar code in the newspaper with this thing called a CueCat ...

8. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Let's face it, the newspaper will never die, boys and girls.

9. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

All that stuff is fine for papers with big money like Washington Post and New York Times, but there are still a lot of sub 50K papers that are barely competent enough to run a regular Web site and do it well. Stuff like e-readers, etc. are a ways off for those publications.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You HAD to mention CueCat, didn't ya? lol

Those are pretty good inventions, but I'll take an e-edition on computer anyday if I'm going to read a non-print newspaper. Just my preference, that's all.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I like the concept of the Kindle, but I just wished it also had Wi-Fi. I understand not having color since it is using e-ink, instead of a regular LCD. E-ink has the advantage of not needing any power to maintain its state, only to change the image.

Problem with the price is that it probably subsidizes the free Sprint EVDO service included. I think a Wi-Fi device could drop it to around $150-200.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Christ. I'm still hauling around my discman. I'm years away from that piece of technology.

Draft saved Draft deleted